1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My launch 360 just died byt no red lights? Elite question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bremner, Jul 16, 2007.

1. bremner

bremner Member

My 360 just died but is not showing the 3 red lights, i think the drive has packed up as every backup or orig i put in just comes up with "please but this disc in a xbox 360 console". I've tried flashing fw back to my orig but still wont work.
    My question is how would I break my 360 on purpose to get the 3 red lights, i've tried burning it out using the towel trick but it auto shuts down when the temp gets to high, any ideas?
    The reason i want the 3 red lights is ms's new 3 year warrenty only covers 3 red lights faults and I dont want to pay to get it fixed I'd rather get a new one from warranty or wait for the elite if its moddable.

My elite question, is the elite moddable yet and is there a good chance it ever will be?

cheers

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If you get an Elite with the Hitachi 79 drive you'll be able to mod it. But there's still nothing that can be done with the Benq drives yet.

Modding the 79 will still be alot of work, though, as it needs a mod chip installed just to get it in mode b. Then the drive can be flashed with new firmware. And, of course, to install the mod chip you'll need to be able to remove the epoxy which MS places over the dvd drive's board.

For some, these extra steps won't be a hassle. But for the vast majority, doing this themselves will turn out to be a complete nightmare.

Also, reportedly this fall is when MS is switching over to the 65nm processors. This move is suppose to reduce production costs and (good for the consumer) reduce the heat generated. This coupled with the new heat sinks will hopefully eliminate the overheating problems which has plagued the 360 since it's launch.

You might be upset spending alot for an Elite now when a redesign is right around the corner. Not to mention the rumor of the price drop. You may just be better off just picking up a core and using your accessories on that for the time being.

3. bremner

bremner Member

thanks for the info yet again bhetrick. I had a look into picking up a new core system but i was going to try to break my current system so i can get a refurb on warrenty, i dont want to line ms's pockets again with more cash for something that shouldnt be this unreliable, do you know a way to intentionally get 3 red lights? like i said above i've tried to burn it out through over heating but with no sucess, any ideas?

4. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Just call them up and see what they tell you

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If I was trying to overheat the system, I'd cover it with a towel, box, etc. until it shut down. It may take multiple tries until the 360 becomes unplayable.

6. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Youre console is covered for EVER,since it was a launch console.So you should just call them up,but if you want the red lights do the towel trick several times like bhetrick suggested