1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My (long) but effective backup solution.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dvdfiend, Oct 21, 2003.

1. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

Hey All,

Just wanted to share I technique that I've been using lately. First, a bit of background I like 1 disc solutions w/ no re-encoding if possible. Unfortunately you cannot always achieve this. So here is what I do.

Tools required - DVD Decrypter, IFOEdit, DVD Shrink

I wanted to backup a movie onto one disc. I will use "Being John Malkovich" for the example. The disk is about 7.3GB. So using DVD Decrypter I found out that the main movie is still approx. 5.6GB. I ripped the main movie to my harddrive. I then use IFOEdit to strip out any extra streams that I don't need. After this process my movie is still over 5GB. I decided to use DVD Shrink at this point and was able to fit it into DVD-R at about 83% quality. The disk quality is pretty great considering the re-encoding.

I know this is a long process, but I have yet to figure out how to remove extras, etc. using DVDShrink.

Opinions?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  2. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

pretty much what i do for all my stuff, I do tend to use smartripper, more and resort to dvddecryptor when smartripper will not work.
    It provides the best movie quality using this method.

To remove all the extras in DVD Shrink:
    either unclick the ones you don't want
    or re-author and drag the files from the original movie to the re-author movie
    (ie. open your movie 1st, click re-author and drag movie over and leave extras)

m

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

For the best quality, re-encoding really is the better method to go with, though it takes such a long time i couldnt be bothered with it. My advice is this:

Forget the IFOEdit part of it. Just Decrypt, edit and compress using DVD SHrink. Even strip the credits out as well.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

I'd go along with what you've said, as along as you are confident using the different applications.

The smaller you can get the "movie only" (no subtitles, etc) the better the final video (audio always being the same)

HomerJ

5. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

i hadn't realised the DVDShrink software was so versatile, i'll have a look when I'm doing my next DVD,
    may be a while though I'm just waiting on my P4 2.8Ghz processor to arrive before I put together my new PC, it'll be No1 priority, well that and rebuilding old pc with the leftovers...

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, DVD Shrink does everything bar burn it for you :-D

7. dvdfiend

dvdfiend Member

thanks guys,

I will try to skip the IFO Edit part and see how that works. Glad to hear though, that I'm still doing these relatively effectively.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, your method is pretty sound. BEst of luck