1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Magic 3.1 doesn't read original DVDs or DVD-R. Everything else is fine! Please help!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by booyah168, Feb 16, 2004.

1. booyah168

booyah168 Member

I just picked up my Magic 3.1 pre-mod today after the guy replaced my Magic 2 which had a problem reading PS1 backups. Originally my issue was it would not read PS1 backups or DVD original games. If I used a Gameshark I could boot to my original DVDs. He replaced it with a Magic 3.1 which seemed to fix the problem (I picked it up yesterday).

Until today.

I cannot get it to boot DVD-R or original DVD games. It boots PS1 original and backups and PS2 CD-R but it absolutely will not boot any DVD or DVD-R. I don't get a DRE but either the red screen or the browser menu comes up. It will not boot my original DVDs with a Gameshark either.

Can someone please help? I have tried adjusting the white cog wheel but this didn't help.

I'm dying here!

Thanks!

2. beto1

beto1 Member

If you’re up to it you will have to open you ps2 and check the install. Sometimes a wire can get loose and funny things start to happen. Check the install, I bet it’s a loose wire. If you have never opened your ps2 search the internet for taking your ps2 apart. It’s easier than it seems. Late.

3. booyah168

booyah168 Member

Yes, I opened it up and checked all the wires.

It seems fine although it appears that some of the solder from a connection spilled over to another connection (just a tiny bit though)

Would this cause it not to boot DVD-R?

How do I get that solder off? Should I just scrape it off?