1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My method and then some questions. :)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MavLy21, Mar 1, 2007.

1. MavLy21

MavLy21 Member

So this started out as a way to find the best mehtod, but I have read a couple of threads and see there really isn't a best method that everyone agrees on. So now this thread has been changed to a questions thread.

So currently I use these steps to back up DVDs.

1) DVD Decrypter w/ AnyDVD in the background
    (To rip to my hard drive)
    2) VobBlanker
    (To blank out Warnings and stuff)
    3) DVD Shrink (That uses Nero)
    (To burn to Blank DVD Media)

Yes, I usually burn to dual layer discs. Sometimes I burn to single layer discs when the DVD is small enough.

Is this a solid method? I see some people use Ripit4me (which I read uses DVD Decrypter and Shrink). Is that better? easier? the same? And what does RipIt4Me do with Shrink? Does it use Shrink to compress, burn, or something else?

I also see people using ImgBurn as their final step. A quick question that just came to my mind about DVD Shrink. Is Shrink used usually to compress the DVD onto a single layer disc? Meaning....if I were to backup onto a dual layer disc, then I shouldn't use Shrink? I ask this because....maybe I need to replace DVD Shrink with ImgBurn.

I'd like to know if there is a step I'm missing or a step I don't need.

Next. I see this being mentioned...DVD-RB Pro and CCE........
    I'm trying to search for the thread I saw them in, but the forums isn't loading for me. I wanted to see what I can find out about them. Basically if anyone can help....what do those 2 things do? Do they replace anything in my steps? Do they add something that I need to include in my steps?

Thanks in advance for the input I get. Let's see if the forums are workable enough for me to submit since I can't view the forums. Lol.

- Chris

2. MavLy21

MavLy21 Member

Alright. SO i ran across a thread explaining DVD-RB. It is something that compresses the movie to fit on a single layered media. :)

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Your method is half ok. You can actually set AnyDVD to remove trailers and adverts. And just use ImgBurn to build and write an ISO file to DL media. This is what I use.

Ripping with Decrypter first and running files thru voblanker probably produces cleaner files and will take out exactly what you want. So keep doing that. Then open the VIDEO_TS file in ImgBurn and build the ISO file and burn it with ImgBurn. It will give some options for the layer break. Select the one that is rated the best.

4. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

use ripit4me. the newest version has fixVTS integrated into it and it too can remove trailers and warning automatically. It's all done in one step as well if you use the 1 click option. seems easier to me than having to use vobblanker after ripping. that's an extra step. ripit4me is better than anydvd. it handled saw 3 the day it came out while anydvd needed an update which came like a week later. i don't understand why people can't just find the simplest method that works and do that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

maxxjulie, anydvd could do SAWIII fine the first day the movie was released if you did the movie only it took a few days for the update to do the complete movie.

MavLy21

your method is ok, when using dvd decrypter with anydvd set it up this way

To use DVD Decrypter in conjunction with AnyDVD as stated per Olli ->OF SLYSOFT AND CLONEDVD

Proceed to the DVD Decrypter Opening Page - Tools - Settings

I/O Tab - Click on "Elby CDIO-Elaborate Bytes"

General Tab - un-check "Check For Structure Protection"

an actually if your using mostly DL your best bet is to use clonedvd 2 with anydvd . less steps easier to use and it would be much faster

but if you want to go with freeware "RipIt4Me" is the way to go.(better than the method your using now) IMO FixVTS gives you a cleaner file than VOB Blanker. heres some guides for RitIt4Me

http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/360110

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

7. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

@ aabbccdd. anydvd did handle saw3 the same day it came out but, in main movie only mode. ripit4me did the whole movie from the first day without having to be updated. Ripit4me is a much slower way, specially when one runs the files thru fixvts after ripping them. but it is a much safer method, because it produces the cleanest files possible.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@maxxjulie

aabbccdd is absolutely correct. AnyDVD did Saw3 , movie only, the night it came out! It's still the easiest method when used with cloneDVD, Nero Recode or Shrink when it works with the last two options. It has its warts lately but once you start the burn process, after having set everything up properly, and have two burners, all that is required is if you please, watch the analysis, encode and and burn, because the next step is removing the finished product! Truly one click start to finish. With ripit4me, great program, you still have to tell Shrink what to do and start the process again.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi MavLy21,

As you can see from all of the replies to your questions there are a bunch of different ways to backup your DVD movies. Is one better than the other? IMO there is not one method that will work better than anything else as everyones likes, dislikes, PC's, and opinions will always be different. So I would say if you are producing good backups and are comfortable with the way you are doing this process then stick to that. If you are adventures and just like to try different methods (like me) :) then give them all a shot and determine which one is best for you. Now I use a bunch of different ways to backup my movies and to be honest they all work pretty well, but if I where going to stick to one method for backing up a dual layer disc as this looks like what you are doing. then I would use the following method.

1) Rip Full Movie with DVDFab Decrypter to your HD
    2) Run Files threw FixVTS
    3) Burn to blank media with ImageBurn

Again though if you are happy with your final product then stick with it my favorite quote "If it aint broke then dont fix it"

Cheers

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@bbmayo

Great advice. Since ripit4me has now upgraded, does it use fixVTS or VOB? I still see FixVTS in the ripit4me folder. I assume I can open it alone after say a DVD Fab rip as you suggested and run those files thru it.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

garmoon,

The new version of RipIt4Me does not use FixVTS, but it uses its own adaptation of something simular.

I have been using FixVTS for a long time on all of my movies long before RipIt4Me came around. You can easily run any of your movies through FixVTS and I would always do this just to be safe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

really thats news to me . why has it changed

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Too many newbs used the zip files to install and couldn't find the path to FixVTS. The FixVTS code is incorporated into the RI4M program now. Those with an older version updating may still have the FixVTS file in the RipIt4Me folder, but it doesn't open in version 1.7.0.0. Those installing the new version fresh won't see FixVTS. You will notice in preferences there are no FixVTS options, they're replaced with VOB options (not VobBlanker options), which do the same (down to processing in place like FixVTS did). What's been done is in the history.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

aabbccdd,

Check out this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/474454 or you could go to the RipIt4Me website
    So after reading that I may have mis-spoken it could mean they just intergrate FixVTS into there download and install now? The more I read at there site I believe RipIt4Me still does use FixVTS it just incorporates and has coded it differently than before. There is no need however to have FixVTS installed with the new version 1.7.0.0 because it is hard coded into the program itself now. I hope that better explains it and i am sorry about my last post as I wasent clear on what was meant when I said it doesn't use FixVTS because it does still use it's own version of FixVTS.

Cheers

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I was about 60 seconds up on you that time. LOL

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ok cool i thought that was incorrect but i haven't used the program in a few weeks.

anyway i need to do a clean reinstall of the program,thanks bbmayo

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah Yeah ;-) LOL

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I did several clean installs, thinking the FixVTS file was omitted somehow. Then looked in ripit4me folder and it was there. Did a quick rip and watched it do it's thing. Basically works the same without mentioning FixVTS. I was also able to still open FixVTS on its own should I need it.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Now you merely have FixVTS stored in the RipIt4Me folder. It only works when you activate it to process files manually. The internal FixVTS code in the RipIt4Me program is what now does the processing when RI4M is doing the job. No real need to store it elsewhere as long as you remember where you have it. I put FixVTS back in a FixVTS folder in Program Files. That's where I had it before.

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

This is all becoming too much maintenence. LOL