1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my mystery

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by cousin80, Feb 19, 2005.

1. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

the laptop has usb one that is why i bought the pcmcia card it burns just fine in the usb 1.1 slot it is just slow burns at the same speed as i am geting out of my pcmcia card slow

2. tvieira

tvieira Member

hi,

I have a persario 2100 and also have the same problem. The PCMCIA doesn´t work either with a Conceptronic PCMCIA USb2.0 card either with a wireless US Robotics Pcmcia card. I explain my problem to Compaq the 7th of February and they have been doing somoe tests but with no results. We tryed to re-install the OS and update to service pack 1a but still no results. The support person said that they have to analyse the problem to give a result.

I'm waiting for a response. If anyone have some tips to share please do.

Regards to all
    Tiago

3. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

my pci slot works fine with wireless just cant get speeds out of my burner

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cousin80

If you say that your burner runs at the same speed whether it is through your USB 1.1 on your Laptop or your PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, then the card is not giving you your 2.0. It's either the software that came with the card, or the drivers for the card, or windows drivers for USB 2.0. Very simple then. Take one step at a time and go from there now.

5. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

i do have all my drivers installed well the ones xp installed on its own i found somthing else out i used nero cd dvd speed testing a cd and i noticed when i use my computer it burns faster so i took a big file i have on my computer and compressed it so my cpu was 100% at the same time i was compressing the file i burned a dvd video i burned a full 4.3 gig
    dvd in 9 minutes flawless burn so the more my cpu is bieng used the faster it burns this makes no sence at all to me

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Another dumb question for you...

Is your Laptop plugged into AC while you are doing your burns?

You are correct when you say that it makes no sense. I think now you should try burning without using multi-tasking and you might find that it will work the same.

You have done something to correct the problem, it didn't correct itself by multi-tasking.

7. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

yes my laptop is pluged into ac while i am doing burns and it will only burn fast while i am multitasking i can sent you you results of my nero test if you dont beleve me i will let the graph go halfway without running any programs then i will start winrar and you can watch it climb.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cousin80

I'm glad for you that it's working the way it should. I have no reason to doubt you since you are the one using your hardware. If you ever find out what can cause your burner to go into USB 2.0 mode when you put a demand on your CPU, let me know.

Could it be some setting on your laptop to use full power when tasked, only letting the USB 2.0 driver to kick in when you put a demand on your Laptop?

That’s why I asked about using AC when you are burning. Please let us know when you find out.

9. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

my usb 2.0 dont just magicly kick in when i put a load on my cpu it goes up and down with my cpu if my cpu hits 20% i will burn at 20x if it hits 100% it will burn at 40x it burns at whatever speed my cpu is running at

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It is either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, and whatever your burner connection is at the time is also either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. There is no in between. There is no automatic settings of a rheostat or potentiometer on your PCMCIA card that can make the speeds fluctuate as a variable.

Good luck again :)

11. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

it is like everything is working fine exept for whetever tells the cpu ok we are burning a dvd now lets go speed up and it is not so whenever i run a program it speeds it up manuily and then it burns fast just a thery i came up with i dont no if it is even posible

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

My last comments/suggestion.

On my wife’s laptop, it has different power settings for the screen, Hard Drives, etc., and whether its plugged into AC power, etc. What I was trying to refer to a couple of posts ago is that what you are stating and a possible power setting could be one in the same. Since your burner is external, your Laptop might not pick up on its needs until your main processor is tasked by a local program.

I suggest seeing what your power settings are on your particular laptop and see if there is any correlation between the two.