1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PC is really slow ... Please help

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by aasimn, Mar 3, 2007.

1. aasimn

aasimn Member

Hey ... can you please help !
    my laptop has become really slow these days
    Thanks!

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Go to Start-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools and run a Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragmenter. That should do the trick.

3. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey ... thanks will try that now and when i press Ctrl Atl and Del
    it tells me that my computer usuage is 100% then everythin is SO SLOW thats its unusable!

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

How much memory do you have in your machine? Do you have a lot of startup programs running? What is your system temprature? Your system should not be at 100% usage all of the time. You may need to check your PSU (Power Supply Unit), check your Processor Fan, and get a can of compressed air and blow out your machine. Make sure that everything is free of dust.

If anything is not running properly it would be a good idea not to use the machine. Overheated machines can damage memory as well as processors. Sometimes the heat issue may be from a bad Mboard, sometimes from the PSU. If you cook your machine than you don't have one!

Clean it out and let me know if that solves the problem. If it does then you can go ahead and do the defrag.

5. aasimn

aasimn Member

Hey
    m using only half of my pc memory
    hav tried to clean it up
    but it doesnt work:(!
    its still slow
    Are you sure if i get it clean it will work ??
    PLEASE ... M dying for it to work!

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Is your machine hot? You said that you were only using half of your memory. Do you have a bad memory stick? Did you do a system defrag? Did you download any programs to help you get it clean?

Download the following programs:
    Motherboard Monitor: http://www.download.com/Motherboard-Monitor/3000-2086_4-10518385.html?tag=lst-0-1

Ad-Aware: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10639408.html?tag=lst-0-1

A-Squared: http://www.download.com/A-squared-Free/3000-2239_4-10514472.html?tag=lst-0-1

CCleaner: http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10634975.html?tag=lst-0-1

Spybot Search & Destroy: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html?tag=lst-0-1

After you update and run all of the programs, let that Motherboard Monitor run. Let me know if the temp displays are too high.

7. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey
    sorry to bother you
    i jus formatted my pc .... its dell inspiron 6000
    and in windows task manager says that System Idle Proccessor takes 99 CPU!

I had window home edition and installed Windows Professional
    when i restart its shows both for some reason :S!
    PLease help

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Is your XP Pro an update version of a full version? If it is a full version and both are showing, then you did something wrong when you did the Installation. If XP Home is still showing, then you did not format the HDD.

Let me know if your Pro version is an update or a full OS disk. Then I can walk you through getting your machine restored.

9. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey
    sorry but how do i knw whether its a full or OS version?

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

It should say on the disk.

Put the disk in and reboot the machine. If it starts and a blue screen appears and it will ask you if you want to continue. Say yes and it should bring you to another screen that asks you which partition you desire to put the OS on. You should only have one partition. Select that. Then it should ask you if you want to do a full install or to save current settings. Choose for it to do a full install. It should warn you that you are about to format your HDD. Say yes.

Then the XP pro disk will format the HDD and put a fresh OS on for you. If you have multiple partitions you have the ability to tell it to remove a partition. That is up to you. I'm pretty sure that you do not have multiple partitions unless Dell put one on for a system restore to the original XP Home. Remove it. And then proceed with a fresh installation.

If the installation isn't something like that then it is probably an update disk and has to have XP Home on it to work properly. Let me know what happens.

11. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey
    I undertand but its too much hassell
    Can you please tell me y is always my system idle processor around 90???
    is it meant to b that high?

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The System Idle process is built into NT systems and can not be removed.
    When a computer is Idle it will have a high System Idle process under the CPU, often in the 90's. This is completely normal for a computer as it waits for something to do. If you leave the Task Manager open and run a program, you will notice that the System Idle process decreases its CPU usage.

13. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Can you post a HijackThis log please?
    Thanks

14. aasimn

aasimn Member

Hey .... this is the log!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:31:44 AM, on 3/15/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlbccoms.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.uwic.ac.uk/uwicnet/student/
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1173568144765
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    O23 - Service: dlbc_device - - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlbccoms.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

Cheers!

15. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey!

Can you please help me with one more thing!
    I keep signin out of msn messenger i dont know y!

Cheers!

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I think that there is a conflicting problem between msn messenger 7.5 and zone alarm firewall. You may have to change your firewall or switch back to an older version of messenger. To test if I am correct on the subject turn your ZA firewall off. Then keep messenger open and see if it logs off at any time.

You also need to update your XP to Service Pack 2. SP2 is more secure than SP1. I hope that will solve your MSN problem.

17. aasimn

aasimn Member

hey
    hw i can install sp2?

18. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Go to the Microsoft website at http://www.microsoft.com and select support and updates. As long as you have a legitimate copy of XP then you should be directed to install SP2.

You may be able to go to this site: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Here is another site that you could use. I don't think that the XP has to be original to download it from here. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

If you are using Firefox make sure to download the IE Tab from them in order to use Microsoft website. If you are using IE then make sure that you get the latest update to that. It is more secure than the older versions.