1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My phillips dvd 8631 cant read blank dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mclean, Mar 5, 2005.

1. mclean

mclean Member

I need some help. I recently bought a dell dimension 8400 with a phillips dvd 8631. It reads regular dvds but it can read blank dvds. I need help

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

[bold]Need more info[/bold]. When you say it can't read blank dvds, if they are blank what do you expect to see. Do you mean backed up movies on dvd? What are you What kind of discs where you trying to view?(DVD-R/RW,DVD+R/RW) What brand where they? Did you back them up yourself? What program are you using to view the dvds? Please elaborate. Like I said before, we need more info.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. mclean

mclean Member

Okay, before you could have read the blank dvds but it doesnt anymore. I am using princo 4x. It doesnt read blank dvds anymore. I use sonic record now to burn my dvds. I have uninstalled sonic and still nothing happens.

4. mclean

mclean Member

I am usinf dvd-r

5. mclean

mclean Member

anytime i am trying to burn something it says please insert a blank dvd.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Try a disc from the center of the stack you have. Sometimes you'll get a bad batch and some of the blanks in a pack are defects. Have you tested another brand yet? Have you looked into firmware updates?

7. Bleck

Bleck Member

I am haveing a similar problem. I have the 8631 and it is sooooo picky. I only found it will wriye to TDK and Sony 4x discs. I just spent $100 on Sony 1x-8x and it spits it out saying DISC WRITE ERROR. The drive is supposed to be compatible with 8x according to Dell. I am at my wits end.