1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PS2 DVD backup woes - PS2 v2 w/ Slidecard and SM2.0

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dudeness, Dec 12, 2003.

1. dudeness

dudeness Member

Hello.
    After getting my dvd burner and trying to back up my games, I have only succeeded in created many fine, exotic, and expensive coasters. Here is my stuff:

Burner:
    LG GSA 4040B with 301 firmware (the latest)

Computer:
    Not bad, definatly fast enough to burn dvds. 512 mb ram and 2 ghz.

Burning Program:
    Tried DVD Decryptor and Alcohol 120%, I burned at 4x and 2x (it would not let me pick 1x for some reason for either media)

My Media:
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (would never burn at 4x, only at 2x)
    Fujifilm DVD-R 4x (tried at 4x and 2x)

PS2:
    Version 2. A year ago Sony took it in and fixed the laser problem its had - not sure exactly what they did but it fixed those read errors my version was having.

My Mod method:
    Not actually any mod chip. I use Swap Magic DVD and CD v 2.0 and a slide card.

Game's tried:
    Gran Turismo 3 A Spec. I wrote and read the image from the same LG 4040B drive on my computer, directly from my original copy of the game.

At first I was using Memorex DVD-Rs and nothing would come up at all really. Swap Magic DVD would always give me the red color and never load.

Then I tried Fujifilm DVD-Rs, and this time a blue color came up and my copy of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec loaded the car disclaimer and Sony Entertainment Presents and blacked out before loading up the video.

Not sure if this info is important but I'll throw it out there:
    I tried backing up a few single layer DVD movies. With memorex media, the movie section would load and played rather poorly and the menus wouldn't come up. But I tried these DVD movie backup copies on my friends Version 4 and they loaded fine. I couldn't try the DVD PS2 game backups because he wouldn't let me snap off his cover to try it out.

This sort of leads me to believe that perhaps Version 2 PS2's just aren't up to par with loading backed up games or that Sony did something crazy to my laser when they fixed it.

By the way, CD-R backups of PS2 games load just fine.

If anyone here can help I would be very appreciative. If any more info is needed, let me know what to supply.

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

For starters, when Sony fixed the disc read error issue, they only fixed it to the original spec, which does not call for the drive being able to read writable media. Some media works of coarse, but those machines more or less are not writable media compatible which means you'll probably have to the highest quality media available and burn only at 1x to get it to work. I'd recommend Verbatim Datalife DVD-R's, they are the only ones guaranteed to last for 100 years. Other brands of writable discs tend to fade after a while similar to how film negatives fade in light. Writable discs are made using similar technologies.

3. dudeness

dudeness Member

Thanks for your input Icemonkey but I don't think I understand exactly what you mean.

Are you saying that when my machine was repaired that they made it less write media compatible than it was before?

I'm beginning to think I should just trade with a friend who has a newer version PS2 that does not care to back up.

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

A) Either the adjustment of the laser is weak

B) Your PS2 doesn't like the media

C) A combination of both

D) Write errors (possibly, if you did NOT do a read to HD then burn i.e. you did a disc to disc and errors came up though it burned full)

5. dudeness

dudeness Member

Not liking the media doesn't seem to likely because I tried two different forms, and by searching I found a thread where everyone with my burner said they had luck with the Fujifilms.

I doubt write errors, because these were images I read straight from my own working original game copies.

I think its the laser and I'll know for sure when I try it on a friend's ps2.

Thanks for you help Oner and Icemonkey.