1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PS2 isn't getting any power...

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by eprox1, Jun 8, 2007.

1. eprox1

eprox1 Member

What’s up guys. Quick question for an annoying problem I have.

I recently stripped the fan out of the PS2 motherboard. My buddy tried to solder it back in, but was unable to solder it into the original motherboard and instead soldered it to the motherboard power connector thingy. Ok, I don’t know what it’s called so I just put a pic up of the little fan mod that he did (thumbnailed, click for a waaaay bigger picture).

[​IMG]

Anyways, I believe that the fan is only supposed to only take 7v and I think the power source he connects it to is 12v. He said it should be fine. Anyways, the whole thing worked, so I didn’t really care. Only real differences are that the fan would constantly be spinning, even in sleep mode, unless it was switched off in the back, and the second difference being that the fan would just spin a little faster than normal. No biggie.

Well, 4 days later my PS2 now will not turn on. No red light, no nothing. When I flip the switch the fan will not even spin. This all happened after I unplugged it and set it in a laundry basket full of clothes in my car when going from my apartment to my parents house. The night before we were jamming to Guitar Hero 2, with the PS2 working flawlessly.

I am just wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what the problem could be. Is it the fan mod that my friend did, perhaps making a fuse blow somewhere, or would that not make a difference because of where he soldered it to? Did I damage it somehow in the laundry basket while traveling? Any ideas/input would be awesome. Thank a lot, guys.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

it is more likely the fan mod then the laundry basket that is the problem.

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

the problem was definitely caused by the fan mod (i have dropped my PS2 out of a car onto concrete without it breaking). I would try to take remove the fan mod and try booting up your PS2. If it works there, buy a new fan and install it the right way. Running your PS2 without a fan for short periods of time will not ruin it. http://www.richspsxparts.com/psx2.html
    If it still doesn't work it is more than likely that the fuse in the power supply board is fried. Check the fuse, if it looks broken buy a new one (its about $5 for 2) is that isn't the problem it could be the entire board. I highly doubt that the PS2 motherboard has gone bad.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. elyk1212

elyk1212 Member

Hey, but the "fan mod" only would have kept the fan on 100% of the time due to no IC control, that was built into whereever it used to be connected. It wasn't doing anything strange, really.

Seems odd that would have shot the supply. Most of mechanical types of parts have a high range of operation voltages, and your friend was right, it usually doesn't matter as long as you are within range.

Anyhow, get a new supply and solder the fan to the board, and you should be good. If you can't get the parts, pick up a broken one at a yard sale or eBay.

Hey, best advice is above "Check the fuse", do that first.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007