1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my ps2 makes grindin noises and now cant load discs - started wit madden

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kankanman, Sep 5, 2004.

1. kankanman

kankanman Member

my ps2 is fairly new and i jus bought madden 2005. while playing it, it suddenly starts making these grinding noises. the game was still playable but delayed (maybe about 5 seconds of delays here and there with continuous grinding noises). then after a few days, the game jus froze and when i try to play regular games and even DVD's, the ps2 grinds and cant load. the ps2 is new and i need to fix it. someone please help me. does it have something to do wit madden?

2. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

ITS NEW??, Hmmm!! sounds like a dodgy laser to me, has it been modded? Does it make noise when u insert the disc? let me know.....

3. kankanman

kankanman Member

no, its never been modded or ever opened up. yea, it jus started makin noises when i insert discs. it all started wit madden.....i read dat other been havin the same problem wen playing new ea sports games

4. kankanman

kankanman Member

dis is my 2nd ps2. the first one was a version one or two which i stupidly opened up with the power still on (i didnt kno) and a sec later, i saw sparks and smoke, so i am skeptical to open up dis one until i kno for sure. its fukkin pissin me off. on other sites around the web, everyone tellin me something different. a loose magnet? madden overloadin my system? the console came that way? dirty internal system? or the most common - messed up lasers? Im So Confused..................

5. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

The only reason I say its the laser is I fitted a new laser to a PS2 and when I inserted the game it would make grinding noises... wish I had an old PS2 I could try a Madden game, but I dont so only thing I can say is if your PS2 is less than 12 months old send it back for fixing or replacing, sounds a bit mad if madden games are killing PS2's.

6. kankanman

kankanman Member

wer would i send it and how long would it take?
    but anyways.....
    so its the lasers you say? how do i fix it?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  7. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

you should be able to take it back to where you bought it, or if your in UK just phone playstation(number can be found in a games manual) not sure about the US, as for fixing it, its only easy if you know how, I done one once and the laser got stuck because I didnt grease the bars up. let me know how you get on,

8. doobiesSS

doobiesSS Guest

it takes a few weeks to a month or more
    it is your laser and it will always happen with one game first yours just happened to be madden.had same problem b4 and couldnt take it back to the store so i sent it to sony and they hooked me up no questions asked.i read around that the lasers in ps2 are absolute junk and shouldnt be in them in the first place.

9. Kryodus

Kryodus Member

Hey, I started getting that myself! Instead of being unable to read disks im getting game freezes, but the disk thing is making hte same noise.

The game that it first started on was nhl 2k5....
    Apparently theres is a huge commotion of NHL 2k5 freezing as well on the boards.
    Maybe there is a connection to madden 2k5?

10. kankanman

kankanman Member

well i didnt wanna mess wit the lasers yet jus in case i messed the whole thing up and have to buy new one. but everyone been sayin that u have to adjust the lasers usin the cog. they sed it was a big white cog, but mine happened to have two adjacent white cogs and a brass lookin drill bit which was the actual thing that adjusted the lasers ( it must be different in newer versions?). so my warranty is void and i wish i did send it in and i regret it. but i did manage to fix the grindin noises by adjustin the lasers. i was hella happy, but after 2 days, the problem persists and i had to do it again and again. maybe i have to adjust the lasers to a better angle for a permanent solution? iono. closin it and openin the ps2 can become tiring

11. Rab!

Rab! Member

hi i had this problem too, in my case the grinding sound meant the ps2 laser guide is worn, basically the little runner that moves the laser around on an archimedial screw. u can get a replacement from www.ps2lasers.co.uk or hunt about if ur not from the UK. i got one and it solved my problem, only i managed to pull a wire outta my ps2 or summat putting the thing on it and buggered it up ironically, but amusingly enough yeah it fixed the grinding sound and the games loaded

12. Rab!

Rab! Member

hi i had this problem too, in my case the grinding sound meant the ps2 laser guide is worn, basically the little runner that moves the laser around on an archimedial screw. u can get a replacement from www.ps2lasers.co.uk or hunt about if ur not from the UK. i got one and it solved my problem, only i managed to pull a wire outta my ps2 or summat putting the thing on it and buggered it up ironically, but amusingly enough yeah it fixed the grinding sound and the games loaded

13. kankanman

kankanman Member

how would you install it? is der some site i can go to or place i can take it

14. chiconoj

chiconoj Member

My ps2 is also having the same problem with the clicking or grinding noises making the game freeze, skip or lose sound. and guess what, it happened first when i played nba 2k5. so its either these new sports games or there is something wrong with the magnets or laser things in my ps2 man i needa know how to fix this.