1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PS2 won'y play my backed up games anymore

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by azianx, Aug 20, 2004.

1. azianx

azianx Member

Hi guys,

I have one of the first version PS2 with a magic 3.1. My PS2 for some reason now can not play my backed up PS2 games. It can't play DVD or cd backed up PS2 games. But it can however it can still play my orginal copy games and backed up psone games. My question is what do you guys think is wrong with my PS2? I thought it was the laser at first but it is still capable of playing backed up psone games. Could it be the modchip? I checked the wires and nothing looks wrong. Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the laser is either getting weak or is dirty. did you try cleaning it?

3. azianx

azianx Member

Yeah I cleaned the laser already with no luck.

4. Jerman

Jerman Member

I'm gonna have to guess that the problem is the connection between the modchip and the PS2 CPU chip. It just seems that way to me because a) your PS2 can read original games, which do not require a modchip to boot and b) your PS2 can read backed up PSOne games, which utilize the original PSX chip to boot. Since your PS2 can load backed up PSOne games, it means the connection between the modchip and the PSOne chip is A-OK. So it's gotta be a problem with the connection between the modchip and the PS2 CPU.