1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Ps3 Overheated For The First Time Today.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by perry07, Jun 21, 2008.

1. perry07

perry07 Regular member

Today while i was on my laptop, my ps3 shut itself off & the flashing lights come on. i craped myself lol
    I looked at the ps3 n though nooo please!
    searched about abit on google & found people who have had the problem but they said it wasnt seriouse.
    So i though mmm ok l av a read in the Ps3 sony manual.
    Found a troubleshoot for the problem, it said:

Flashing red lights.
    If your getting a flashing red light problem, touch the power button on the front. Let the ps3 cool down them power backup & all should be fine.

I done that & it worked! Thankfully.

EDIT...

Nope sony fuc**d me, 5mins later it yellow light of deathed me lol
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

It's happened to me a few times last summer on rb6 vegas marathons, its no big deal really since the ps3 shuts itself off properly when it overheats. Though when it overheats it usually takes you back to the xmb.
  4. Ce_Yu_Pe

Ce_Yu_Pe Regular member

That's interesting. So the PS3 has like a built in sensor that tells it to shut off when it gets too hot. Cool. I didn't know that. =]
  5. perry07

perry07 Regular member

thid the first time it happend to me & guess what happend after i turned it back on....5mins of gta 4...instant power off & yellow light of death! it lasted me 15months(march 23rd 2007) i was guna give sony a call but there full of shit themselves so im guna sell my YLOD ps3 on ebay & just go buy a 40gb. i would rather buy a brand new 1 than av 1 replaced by sony with a dodgy 90 day warrenty! i see the YLOD ps3's on ebay & they sell for around £100. id rather sell it than just thrown it. & i would rather av a new ps3 in my room than a sony replacement lol
  6. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

That's quite the doozy, maybe that's why it didn't go back to the xmb when it overheated.
  7. CurtFL1

CurtFL1 Guest

deleted
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  8. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

My 40gb has rebooted to the XMB several times, normal when playing Cod4 online, after the "Setting up game" loading screen. I did not know that this was due to overheating. When ever it has done it, the fan has not been on loudly or anything, so i just assumed there was a loading problem and the PS3 rebooted itself.
    Since i exchanged my PS3, i have never heard the fan once. The only thing i notice is that the bottom left corner of my PS3 gets warmer than the rest of it, but i assume that is because thats where the power cord is?

So is the PS3 rebooting to the XMB a problem? or is it just a safety mechanism sort of thing? Whenevr its happened to me i have always just reloaded the game and havn't experienced any other problems.
  9. perry07

perry07 Regular member

if it plays the game a second time round ut should be a gid problem but it would be something u shouldnt turn ur back to, if it happens to ur new ps3 then do some research into it but it should be a big problem.
  10. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

Even my PS2 Fat V5 had a temperature sensor, and it was doing the exact same thing, flashing the red light.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  11. perry07

perry07 Regular member

what i cant see is the point of putting a yellow light on the ps3 but not telling you in the manual wtf it means lol well we know what it means now but dont u think sony should warn us of things like this. hope a fix for it comes soon coz i dont fancy gettin a replacemnet from sony & i dont fancy buying another. if we can temporarly fix the RRoD on a 360 with a towel then we should be able to fix this YLoD Bas**rd.
  12. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

The yellow light means hardware failure. Most people have gotten it from their HDD kicking the bucket.
  13. perry07

perry07 Regular member

it wenrnt my hard drive tho i dont think coz i never filled up my hard drive except when for the games. so if it wenrt my hard drive do u no what else it could av bin?
  14. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

It doesn't have to be full to screw up, laptop HDD's have a higher than normal failure rate as a result of their compactness. Still I cant say 100% for sure that a new HDD would fix it I can only saying that there is a good chance that that might be the problem.
  15. perry07

perry07 Regular member

yhh could be, at the weekend me & some others are guna strip the whole ps3 down & see if we can see the problem. if we cant then il jus go buy a chea hard drive & see if it works.
  16. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

If any of your buddy's has a ps3 try one of their HDD's before going out and buying one or tearing it down.
  17. perry07

perry07 Regular member

is that safe? wont it format there hard drive or corrupt it?
  18. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

It shouldn't do it automatically, when you put in a new HDD it should prompt you if it needs to be formatted. Theoretically it should start up with all their stuff on it without needing to be formatted or anything anyway. But I've never heard of this being done before so I'm not certain. But its a lot safer than doing a tear down of the ps3.
  19. perry07

perry07 Regular member

yh true. i might av to try that. but im pretty sure its my power supply. when the system turns off i get a clicking noise from the power box.
  20. Vanilla66

Vanilla66 Member

i have the 60gb model, and have played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare for over like, 12 hours straight... at my friends house, got there at 5pm, played till 7am in the morning LOL...
    also played and beat Uncharted Drakes Fortune and Bad Company in between breaks :p...and that 60gb model kept on pumpin'
    the best system i have had in a long long while. i got a ps2 when they first came out, and it started to do the "please insert a playstation 2 format disc" and crap after about 300 hours of playing.
    so i had to get another, and another, till finally F**K that, and got the 60gb and its still good, with over 10000 hours easy. :D :p =D
  21. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I borrowed my friend's PS3 system the other day to play metal gear solid 4, and it was on non-stop for 30 hours, and no signs of overheating, and I was playing it for most of those hours.

Strange.