1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ps3 slim wont recognize WD USB 3.0 external hard drive

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by NvrNickd, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NvrNickd

NvrNickd Member

I've been trying for the last 3 days to connect my Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0 1TB external drive to my ps3 slim to no avail.

I've went through hell and back so I wonder if it is even possible? Is the ps3 capable of backward compatability with this drive?

I know many people have connected a 2.0 usb external to a ps3 but I've googled and asked tech friends,game owners,Sony PS3,WD, Seagate,Buffalo,Adata.You name it.

Yes of course I formatted the whole drive(partition)935GB into FAT32 using Various software programs; SwissKnife,Acronis,Partition Wizard.they all show after completion that the drive was formatted to FAT32.I even tried making folders; VIDEO,PICTURES,MUSIC and still no go.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it a chipset issue or a host controller defecit on ps3's end? The funny thing is it will read my FAT32 Supertalent usb 3.0 16gb flash drive so I dont know if the flash turns into a 2.0 usb read that ps3 recognizes but it can't do that with the build of an external drive, maybe bc it's just a WD black or blue cavier sata with a controller laned into 3.0 usb ports inserted into a tower.

If anyone has had success with any of the USB 3.0 external drives please let me know the amazing fix.I even thought there may be a difference with the usb 2.0 and 3.0 cables and Iwould have to switch to a 2.0 to connect to ps3.I'm not leaving any stone unturned.

I contacted sony ps3 and they escalated it for the next meeting, so they say.WD has no clue and will look into it.Seagate tech support told me right away it isn't supported but didn't say why bc I had to convey questions to the girl on the phone.Buffalo didn't know, so I contacted various retailers in Canada that sell the drives to see if there was any feedback from customers or tech savvy employees.No one seems to know.Yet this could be a simple fix or it might be impossible with ps3's current setup and may be fixed if/when ps4 is released.I doubt a patch or firmware can fix this but you never know.

It would be interesting to see if the ps3 will recognize a SSD in a usb 3.0 enclosure.I have a OCZ Agility 2 SSD new and may try this b4 I install it with my original intention as internal for Windows 7 64 bit OS and media.I also bought an ASUS U3S6 card that comes with 2 usb 3.0 ports.

I have many people working on this even the main manager at Canada computers as he is a ps3 fan and is very interested himself which is good because the more brains that inquire and trouble shoot the better the chance of a solution either soon or in the future.

So once again, thanks for anyone that has had success with these drives and I'll be sure to post any information I receive.

regards, NvrNickd
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

First, I assume that when the drive is connected, it does not show up for the PS3 at all; like under the video menu and such...correct? If so, I have a few ideas for you.

I have personally setup a WD 1TB drive for a PS3; it was only a USB 2.0 drive...but this is what I had to do to make it work:
    1.) Download the tool from the WD website to remove their "security" crap, and run it.
    2.) Use diskpart commands listed at the end of this post to wipe drive and create a new partition.
    3,) Format with this tool: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm - they also have a GUI, but I have never tried it.

It might just be a matter of the cable; if you have a USB 2.0 extension cable (even a tiny one like you get with flash drives sometimes), you could try plugging the drive into the extension, and the extension into the ps3. This should also work with a USB 2.0 hub.

If the drive is USB powered (no AC adapter), you can try running it off of a powered USB hub.

Firmware can't bring an old device USB 3.0 support; there are more pins in a USB 3.0 connector...and firmware updates don't create new pins. If there is some specific defect preventing it from working in USB 2.0 mode, a firmware update might fix it...assuming Sony bothered with it (they don't even have printer support for Sony printers...so don't hold your breath for them to provide support for a WD hard drive).

Top wipe drive & create new partition, open the command prompt as administrator, with the drive connected and all other windows closed. If any other windows or prompts pop up during these commands, just cancel them.

Run these commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk X (replace X with the number of the disk; gotten from last step)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    assign
    exit
    exit
  4. NvrNickd

NvrNickd Member

Thanks very much.I will give this all a go.

What WD tool are you referring to remove all the security crap?

Will this extension cable connect to the male end of the 3.0 cable? as I left off with being routed to level 2 tech suppport from WD for some more ideas and a possible solution.The first tech talked to some friends at work who were avid gamers and they instructed him to tell me to unplug the ps3,then connect the drive after formatted and then plug back and try switching back on the WD drive..Nothing so I will keep you informed.
    Thank you once again.
  5. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

It appears that they didn't install their terrible software on your drive...or at least they don't have a removal tool for it if they did. I noticed they do have a firmware update to try . A USB 3.0 cable should plug into a USB 2.0 slot just fine, but there is a possibility that with some combinations of 2.0 ports and 3.0 cables, there might be some pin overlap causing a problem. The idea of the extension cable/hub idea is that the chances of this happening on two different ports from two different companies is very, very slim.
  6. Luke5181

Luke5181 Member

PS3 only recognizes drives formatted to a FAT32 not NTFS. I have a 2 TB Seagate drive that I formatted with an app called "Swissknife" I created (2) partitions, (1) 480GB NTFS for my personal backup files and (1) 1.5 TB FAT32 that I use for my video files that I play on my system. I would be willing to bet anything that after you format to FAT32 via that software that you will be back in business. Good Luck
  7. NvrNickd

NvrNickd Member

Luke please read my original post thoroughly.I already formatted to FAT32 numerous times with various software, with no success.

So..I returned my WD drive and ordered 3 1 TB Samsung spinfast F3103SJ Internal drives with a Vantec Nextstar USB 3.0 external case.These drives are very good,quiet,fast and had some of the best reviews on Tom'sHardware. Installed in the case, createda a volume, formattted to FAT32 using swissknife and the Ps3 recognizes it and so does my Samsung 50PN6500 plasma tv(2 usb ports)Woo Hoo! I installed a Gigabyte GA-USB 3.0 pci card and I coppied 48 G of data using usb 2.0=40 minutes and then used the usb 3.0 ports and the usb drive and it copied in 7 minutes.Wow, so I'm a happy camper and soon many more devices will support usb 3.0

Thanks for those who tried to help
  8. Amador

Amador Member

Hey Nick,

I purchased the same drive a few days ago specifically to backup my PS3 and start using it as an external drive. I ran into the same problem.

I believe it IS in fact the USB 3.0 that is the problem.

Out of the box, I deleted the existing partition on the drive and created a 1tb FAT32 partition using GPARTED.

I was disappointed to find that the PS3 wouldn't even recognize the drive although it works on my computer, laptop, and everywhere else I plug it in.

I formatted the WD 1tb a formatted it as NTFS, then took a different 1tb drive I have (a LaCie Rugged USB2.0) and copied over all the contents to the new drive.

Afterward, I took the LaCie and formatted that as FAT32 and plugged it into the PS3. It detected it with no problem...

So, long story short - my WD 1TB Essential MyBOOK USB3.0 is now my storage media for the laptop and workstation and my LaCie Rugged is now my PS3 backup and media drive.

Hope this helps.