1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My pstwo can't read discs anymore

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Glaga, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Glaga

Glaga Member

I have the new pstwo slimline and i was playing a game earlier. I turned it off and stopped for 10 minutes. When I got back, I inserted another game and it doesn't read it, just goes straight to the browser menu. I don't think the cd even spins at all.

From what I know, it would go there if either:
    -The disc drive was open/ejected
    -There was no cd in the drive

But the first reason doesn't seem to be the case since:
    -When the drive is closed, and I turn it on, the lens moves forward towards the cd.
    -When i do open the drive and turn it on, the lens doesn't move.

Conclusion, it doesn't think the drive is opened.

Then, it probably thinks that there's no cd there, right? But I've tried many other games and it just doesn't work.

What might cause that and what can I do?
    It just doesn't make sense... I was playing a game 10 minutes before...

Thanks for the help... I just hope somebody can find out what's wrong...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  2. Glaga

Glaga Member

After reading a thread on the forum I realised it might be important to add this to my post:

I use swapmagic and I softmod my pstwo by taping the chips so it thinks the cover is always closed.
    It worked very well. It's been 18 days exactly now.

I learned that there was some hype about the pstwo being booby trapped but that it was false, and that in fact, there's a problem with the ps2 lenses.

Do you think that's why it doesn't work anymore?

If the lens was just burnt, would the cd not even spin? (the lens does go red when turned on though, i think...)

Going through the info on how to fix it, I don't understand much... has anybody done it?

What can I do? any info would be great...

3. succubus

succubus Member

make sure the disc is firmly in all the way, if its only in half way it won't spin.

other than that i don't know what to tell ya. mines working fine, although its only been some days since i did the tape mod.

4. Glaga

Glaga Member

Yeah it's inserted completely that's not the problem :/

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

have you checked that one of your bits of tape have not come loose/unstuck

6. Glaga

Glaga Member

I even took them out to see if that was the problem. Apparently not.

It just won't even read the cd... goes straight to the browser menu, with or without the tape.

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

i know very little about the new slimline ps two so this is just speculation but from what you are saying it's begining to sound like a possible laser/drive problem

8. Glaga

Glaga Member

Question is, when a laser lens is burnt, it doesn't go red anymore right? (I'm asking...)

Then maybe it's the spinning motor thing that's dead, maybe i'm not experiencing what other people have when their slim pstwo's died.

I just don't know... this is very irritating. I was having fun with this ps2 and i can't afford to buy a new one.
    And anyway, what if the same problem happened? =/

9. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

as i said i don't know much about the slimline version but if the laser focus coils burn out or are not working it is still possible for the laser to still light up but it can't read the disc and if the laser can't read that there's a disc in the console is assumes there's no disc and won't try to spin it up

10. pavido

pavido Member

Hello , I had the same problem with my friend's slim pstwo. It wouldnt read anything sometimes, and sometimes it would kinda spin, but then it would stop, and not read anything, it would just go straight to the browser menu. I was up all night and day, trying to find a solution, because I didnt want to give it back to my friend, not working. I found out that if you kinda press, with your hand, on the top of the pstwo, at the back, right above where the rear internal switch, with tape, is located, it would start spinning the disc, and the game would load. So, I thought it was because the tape wasnt properly placed, or was out of place, and that's the reason why the pstwo would work when I applied a little pressure at the top ,in the location right above where the internal switch would be, also near the ethernet ports. I tried putting the tape again on the rear switch, and it would work for a while, but then my friend called me, saying that it wasnt reading anything at all. Another thing that I found out, that contributed to this problem, was the way I screwed back on, the pstwo. With the pstwo, unscrewed,it wouldnt read anything. Then I screwed it back on, and more tight, and it works better. Once in a while, it's unable to read games, but all I have to do, is lift the pstwo, in my hands, and apply a little pressure, on the top, and kinda press my thumbs down on the pstwo, and it works again. It hasnt messed up in about 2 days already, but it's still a work in progress, as we speak, cuz I dont know, if it will mess up again. So, the 2 things you should mainly check, if you have this problem, is the tape, inside the internal switch, and the way your pstwo is screwed back on, cuz it might be out of alignment or something, and it's causing problems with the internal switch, which is the reason why you need to apply pressure at the top of the pstwo to work. The problem is, that if you release your fingers or the pressure, at the top of the pstwo, it will stop reading the games.That is all I know for now, about this problem, and if I find out more about it, Ill let you guys know.Im an average person, not a technician or anything. Everthing I know, I learned by reading forums, and stuff.Maybe someone that knows more, or is an expert in this stuff, could follow up on what I suggested, and find a better, or permanent solution to this problem that some of us are having.

11. yudda111

yudda111 Guest

Glaga do you have msn massenger il tell you want i did on mine in private.

12. Glaga

Glaga Member

gc500@hotmail.com

The thing is, I've tried removing the tape, putting it back on, and i've put it back on really tight. I'll try again in a bit, I have to go to work now.

Thanks for all the help... I'll try the pressure thing after work.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  13. yudda111

yudda111 Guest

Glaga check your private messages i rite something for you and dont play with the pressure thing they talking about youl waste your time it still gona fuckup on u i have a better fix then this.il talk to you on msn about this fix.it has bine almost a month since i did this fix and everything works perfect.

14. Glaga

Glaga Member

I'm on, where are you?

15. yudda111

yudda111 Guest

wait im gona be there in a moment

16. jromb

jromb Member

Having the same problem here.

Pout..On xmas eve to boot.........

17. ogloc13

ogloc13 Guest