1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my right speaker wont work

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dragnandy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

ok, i had my 2 speakers on while listening to music on my computer. and i also had my headphones plugged in, i was using my headphones and theres a headphone jack on the right speakers. and i accidently tipped over the right speaker, they're like 10" tall. well i yanked on the headphone cord, and it made the right speaker fall. now my right speaker wont right, AND the right earphone. but i used my other headphones on the speaker jack, and it works fine with music going in both ear. its not like mono sound where all of its going in one speaker, but only the left speaker is playing its part of the music, and the right is like muted. does anyone know the problem? is there a way to fix it?

2. xsketchx

xsketchx Member

May I be the first to congratulate you on breaking your speaker :)

But the chances are, unless you've altered anything on your computer/audio system itself, you've actually broken the unit. When you yanked you cable out, the socket it plugs into is connected to the main cable which goes straight to your computer. When there is a device plugged in to this jack, it diverts the sound through there instead of the speaker, so, because the audio is also not coming out from the Jack on the right speaker, it really does mean you've "fcuked" it...

Sorry to say... There are only two fixes, and one of them is prevention. The other is taking it apart, and if you know what your looking for diagnose the problem and do a DIY fix. Your basically looking for the cable from the Jack where it goes, and how it's connected, if it has broken then solder it back up, if the amplification device has been cracked or broken itself, there's not much you can do short of buying a new speaker. However, if it is cables that have became broken, re-solder them

Sorry if that has not been much use, it's hard to explain over the internet, just take it apart and investigate using common sense

Jamie

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

man, so i guess ill just get a new speaker. those were stock speakers, but i liked them very well.

is there anyway to fix my headphones though" the right one doesnt work. but it works like rarely when i adjust the wire connected to the right ear right. do you know a way to fix that? do i have to like slice open the rubber outside and reinsert the wire?

4. xsketchx

xsketchx Member

Pry the right Ear-Phone apart with a negative screwdriver, slit a hole down the rubber from the point where it meets in the right head-phone down a little way. See where the connection is broken, shove some solder on it, Cellotape the rubber back around :S and hope for the best

5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well, being as this is my first time soldering something, can you tell me step by step? or show a guide on how to re solder headphones?