1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my s-video looks WAY better than component

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by {TKO}, Aug 5, 2007.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

First off, I hope I put this in the right section. Sorry if I didn't.

THIS is my TV. I tried hooking up THIS DVD/VCR via component and it looked like THIS. Yet when I connect THIS DVD player through S-Video, it looks like THIS. Notice how the clouds and flowers have much better detail in the S-Video version. And bare in mind that those are just pictures, but the component doesn't look much better than the picture shown here. I did make sure that the Progressive Scan was activated on the Sony DVD/VCR.

How is it that S-Video from one DVD player looks better than component from another? Thanx in advance for all help.

UPDATE: When I submitted this and then read it, I realized I hadn't tried the Magnavox via component. Only S-Video. How that eluded me? I have no idea. But I tried just now and it has the same effect. So the component on either DVD looks worse than the S-Video. WHY? Please help.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I would try another set of component cables.

3. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

There are several things you need to take into account here I think. First, you get what you pay for with analog cables. If you are using extremely poor quality componant cables, your picture won't be optimal. You have dvi, if your equipment supports it, use that. Secondly, your componants themselves are a little dated and may not perform as well as your tv can. Hd dvd players are coming down in price, you could invest in that on your next purchase. This is just my 2 cents.

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

The cables are Phillips PXT1000. They were like $40. The brand I just looked at, the price I'm going off memory. What I find funny as well is that the S-video is going through a selector box. So it's DVD>selector box>TV all via S-Video and it still looks better than the component cables.

I am highly considering the extra $100 for the HD add on for my Xbox 360. So I just might do that. Newbie question: Will the HD Drive for the Xbox 360 play my old DVD's? I would hate to have to get all my movies all over again.

5. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

hd add on as well as the xbox itself will play your standard dvd's.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

There is no way Component Video looks worst than S-Video even without Progressive scan enabled. At its worst it should be just as good as S-Video.

Make sure:

- The Sony player is set to 16:9 or Widescreen mode

- The connections are all correctly connected

- Component Video is enabled (some players require this)

If that fails then you may have a TV with bad Component Video inputs or need to calibrate your component video inputs.

Ced

7. splman

splman Member

If you buy the add on hd dvd player and watch it through componets it will only come in has 480p.I used to own one and the elite 360 and tried it both ways componets and hdmi and hdmi will let you see it in 720p,1080I/P.

8. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Yeah, I've been reading more on it and the HD drive with the regular 360 is not all that. It is inexpensive, but like you said it'll only deliver 480p. I think I'll just wait to see who wins the race and til the players drop more. This is one thing that sucks about having 1080p capability, everything for it is still too expensive.

9. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

hd dvd players aren't really that expensive. $200 for the hd-a2, my first dvd player in '98 was $350.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The Xbox 360 and the HD-DVD add on can output 1080p over component video if your TV will except 1080p via its Component Video input.

Capabilities of the various XBox systems:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/547673

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007