1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Samsung tablet is draining super-fast

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by Wyattspop, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Tech gear question guys, I have a nice, high end Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet, and recently I noticed it's draining the battery when not in use, 50% in 2 days sitting unused with the Wifi/Bluetooth off. I'm assuming the battery is toast and needs to be replaced, which of course means having a shop install it (not a user-friendly battery change). Any way to test this theory before I spend the $20 on the battery and $50 for the install? Just can't imagine any app running in the background would drain half the battery in 2 days, only wifi could do that.
    I concede it's like 3 years old, but I use my tablet so infrequently, the battery shouldn't have died... Thanks Gang

2. mahlemuts

mahlemuts Member

go to settings and then battey and that will tell you (in %) whats using the most 'juice'
    On my Note 8 it was the LCD panel that used the most (ended up selling it because of it) yours will prob be super amoled with is quite thirsty on the power front, don't use battery apps they tend not to work that well, other than disabling apps you don't use, I think its just a samsung thing.

or if you're feeling adventurous, you could root your tablet and flash a nice lite rom that will go easy on the battery, loads to choose from for samsung models, slimrom is one of my favs.

plenty youtube videos showing how to replace a battery by yourself - save $$$ not a difficult task if you take your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  3. healthym

healthym Member

my samsung 10 tablet keeps shutting down .annoying can this be solved???

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Start your own topic

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A dead battery is a dead battery! When you get a rechargeable device, it's important to keep the charge up or the battery will degrade over time, but eventually it's going to die anyway. If you're the type of person to run a device until it's battery is drained, then you're probably going to kill the battery. Buy a new battery and let it go! 3:)

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I never did thank you for this post, it was good advice. In the end, I did replace the battery, but only because I bought the thing and knew a 5 year old rechargeable anything will run down the life of the battery. Rechargeables only have so many "charges" before the battery won't hold a charge any more. Definitely the screen is an issue, brightness chews up Samsung products, but I love Samsung and I'm 100% Android, I'd never own an IOS (iPhone etc). Except for an iPod Touch, I will never own an Apple device, no freedom to use non-Apple software

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Well thank you for that "Sunshine", I'm the "type of person" who repaired the F15A Eagle and F16 Falcon in the USAF when I was just 18, I have repaired flatscreen TV's, refrigerators, DVD players, tablets, cell phones and built a laptop from the PCB's up...so I know to keep my devices from running the batteries too far down. Dumping a $400+ tablet due to a battery that failed sooner than it should have isn't great advice, and sarcasm helps no one on a help site like AD, but I sure appreciate the follow-up 2 1/2 years later.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I never said anything about dumping your tablet. I suggested that it's probably time to change your battery as in keep the unit but add a new battery. A battery replacement kit can be purchased for under $35. And as for my sarcasm, no insult was intended, there's a reason why I included a smiley at the end of my post, and since it's in your quote I have to assume you saw it. By the way I didn't know that the F15A, F16 Falcon, were battery operated?:D

aldan likes this.