1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Samsung/Toshiba makes a funky sound

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by GodMan114, Mar 29, 2007.

1. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

So not all the time, but frequent enough... the DVD Drive in my Xbox 360 Premium occasionally makes a BZZZZ sound. I believe it's when the system stops the DVD and then starts it again, but I'm not entirely sure.

It doesn't really do it while I'm playing a game... which leads me to believe it's only when the system is randomly accessing the disc or reloading it...

I used to have the 360 standing, but now it lies on its belly. I have a second 360 at my girlfriend's and that one does NOT make the same sound.

I've hacked both 360s, so if this one with the BZZZZ sound dies, I guess I'm screwed... you guys think it's anything to worry about, or if there's anything I could try to fix it?

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

i am not sure, i don;t think it is anything to worry about, like i am sure the system itself is fine, and even if the dvd drive is bunk and dies, you can always buy a replacement samsung drive, just grab the orig.bin from the new drive and replace the keys with one from your current, so always make sure you still have your original .bin in a safe place.

3. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

What's the point of the original bin anyways?

I think I lost my original bin, no joke... It was on a flash usb drive that I sold...
    so what should I do backup the hacked firmware on this one that's making the noise, so that at least I have that?
    Thanks in advance...

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yep back it up, you always need some firmware from the drive that has the key in it, doesnt have to be the original, but it saves you from having to buy a whole new xbox

5. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

you're kidding...
    so if let's say someone's 360 died and they listed their dvd drive on ebay, i'd have to have the firmware off of MY dvd drive to get it to work?

damn... well, and also, would it have to be the MS28 samsung also, or would an MS25 work as well... just trying to be cautious. thanks bud.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

any drive will work, assuming you have the key out of the firmware, you dont have to have the firmware, just the key, i have a copy of my key that i dumped to my computer, but i cant seem to get my msinfo32.exe to work and i cant set up a bootable flash drive :(

7. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

Isn't the KEY the S/N? How do I figure it out?

And what's the problem with your bootable flash... I may be able to help you there... I come from a PC overclocking forum. :) Also did PC work for a while after college (and still do on the side).

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

the key is in the .bin file, and i just dumped mine, if i can find it ill try and explain it to you

and the deal is, when i formatted to try a bootleg of vista (which i hated) and then formatted to go back to XP i cant seem to get msinfo32.exe to load, i type it in run and it wont run, i have it in my system32 folder and i have gone to it and double clicked it and it still wont start.

9. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

Not sure if I understand but where are you trying to access the USB drive to format as bootable and msinfo32 is what does that?

Have you tried right-clicking on the drive and formatting the USB to Fat32 and bootable?

I'm sure you can also download a 3rd party program to do it... I wonder if partition magic would... I could always do it for you if you wanted to mail it.

10. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

nah i need xtreme boot maker to format it so i can boot it up and run mtkflash and get my firmware off my dvd drive, just as if i was going to flash it in the first place. and the boot maker wont work until it can read the settings from msinfo32

11. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

yowza!! I feel bad. :(

I would attempt a Windows Recovery... or there's something else you can try, here:
    http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_system_file_checker_and_how_do_i_run_it.html

12. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

when i run that it just pops a dos command prompt for about .2 seconds and it goes away.

13. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

try recovery console...

14. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

ok will do.

15. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

good luck, mang... i forget the command, but you could also try this command with Recovery Console
    chkdsk /p

i think that's the command... look it up if you have the chance.