1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Situation.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by andyj45, Mar 3, 2005.

1. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Hi, i hope this doenst come across as another moaning rant, because i feel my situation is somewhat unique.

Ok, i have backed up MANY games over the last 16-8 monthes and have had reasonable sucess,up until the last few weeks.

I have a V9 playstation
    Sony DRU-18A Burner(no firmware updates available)
    I use TDK DVD-R media.
    I burn using Nero and sometimes DVD Decrypter.

Ok, the last 3-4 back ups have been terrible. MVP 2005 worked fine, but Tekken, Fight Night 2 and NBA street 3 have been so laggy and slow that it is obviously a problem. Now considering things were fine using this set up for all my other back ups i assume something has changed here.

Heres what i did,

1.Changed from TDK media to Ritek Go5 media - This produced even slower lag at best and 2/3 ended up as complete coasters.

2.Attempted to write at 1x instead of 2x - Will not write at 1x, no option in NERO and in DVD decrypter i select 1x but it still burns at 2x(annoying)

3( THis is where i am today).I have ordered some Verbatim Datalife AZO media. I alsohave ordered a new Ps2 Slim( im not being extravegent, me and my brother share one so i needed one anyway) - Im thinking the it could possibly the laser in my PS2, as i opened it up and cleaned it and i had a little less slowdown for about 10 minutes. So this will arrive tomorrow but my slimetool kit wont be here for a week.

If all this fails im going to replace my Burner to a NEC 3520. As my burner may be on the blink.

I understand that this porblem is not unique and many solutions exist, but the fact that nothing works for me and its sudden onset leaves me bewildered.

Do you think my course of action is correct or if any one has any suggestions or advice it would be extremely helpful to me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2005
  2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

If your TDK media did burn at 1x, then it's the G05's that are not letting you burn at 1x. I think burning at 1x is critical, I've had problems burning at 2x and never tried anything higher. Do the games that used to play fine still play fine? If not, that's probably bad media too. I've heard some not-so-good things about the G05's, however I use G04's with great success. Could be your PS2 I guess. I have a V4 that's been modded for about a year or so, never even got a disc read error yet. I've heard that if you keep your PS2 on carpet when you play it will drastically reduce the life of your PS2. I don't know if it helps at all, but I've also slowed the read speed to minimum on the original disc.

3. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Well, ive never been able to burn at 1x, only 2.0-2.4x.

I dont think my drive is capable of it and there are no firmware updates for my drive.

All other games work as usual. I got my new Slim ps2 yesterday and im just waiting on my Verbatim Datalife media and slim tool. Once i test that out ill have a clear idea of what the problem is. If its still crappy its my DVD RW, and ill just replace that if its the case. Very expensive way to identufy and rectify a problem but my backups have saved me soo much i believe its a worthwhile investment.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

have you checked for lite-on firmware updates?

you may already know this but your sony dru-18a is a lite-on LDW-812S (i think)

5. JoeN00b

JoeN00b Guest

actually, I've seen a lot of threads about some of those games and the problems ppl have had with them. If you do a little searching you may be able to find the answer to your problem.

6. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Thanks for the advice guys but i consider myself to be prety well versed in this feild. So any of the real obvious answers have already been pursued.

As for the Lite-On firmware, i really to doubt that that will make any difference considering the quick onset of my porblem.

Im waiting for the slidetool to try my new ps2, then ill get the verbatim datalife media.

If all fails ill get a new Re-Rwriter drive then i has to work with my massive mixture of combinaitons ill have to explore.

I ll have at hand;

2 ps2's V9 and V12

2 slide tools

3 types of quality media.

2 DVDRW drives.

Surely that cant fail.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  7. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Ok, heres an update.

I got the Verbatim DatalifePlus Media.

Still the backups are extremely slow. At 2x they are a crap as all the other media, and at 4x the ps2 does not recognise it. Im still waiting on my slidetool to try all this with my new Ps2, but as the backups play the same on this Ps2, my old Ps2 and my buddies Ps2, i really dont think its going to be any different with my new one.

So that leaves me looking at my DVD RW. Im gonna get that firmware update and try that, im going to research how i shouldgo about cleaning the laser, and if nothing works i will have to buy a new DVD-RW.

What better Pioneer 109 or NEC 3250?

seeya

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2005
  8. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Screw it. Im not even going to wait for the slim tool.

Ive ordered the Pioneer 109.

Surely i will get decent backups now. 2 burners, 2 playstations, 3 medias.

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

let us know how it turns out.

10. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

I definately will.

I think it would be sweet if we could collectively compile a database of Ps2 Version, Mod type, Media, Burn speed(software) and DVD-RW Drive.

I think patterns would emerge and we could all sort our problems out faster.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

sounds like a great idea. Start it up! I have a V4 PS2 with a Magic 3.1 modchip and it only plays -R media. I am using Ritek G04 media and I have not tried any DVD9 games to see if they work.

12. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

No.

Im the visonary.

You are the plebians.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2005
  13. andyj45

andyj45 Guest

Ok, here it is. A resolution.

I got my Pioneer 109 30 minutes ago, whacked it in there burned fight night( trouble game for me) at 4x with Verbatim Datalife and it is a perfect copy.

So, final dignosis after 2 types of media, 2 ps2's.

Crappy DVD RW( Sony dru-18a).

Rock on.