1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My svcd works but I cant fast forward

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by snapperlp, Dec 2, 2003.

1. snapperlp

snapperlp Guest

After muuuuuuuuuuch reading i was finally able to get a svcd to work on my stand alone player, but for some reason I cant fast forward. I used virtual dub and tpmge, and nero 6. I read the article about the menus but it did not seem to apply to whole movies. I checked for errors with virtdub and extracted the audio so I think I did everything right I should nt be complaining it works and looks really good but of course now I want more any help would be awsome
    Thanks
    snapperlp

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you want to Navigate through your SVCD"s when Playing on your DVD Player you should Put in Chapters like DVD"s Have, If you Put a Chapter at every say 15 seconds then you will be able to easilly Jump through the Movie Backwords and Forewords..It can Be difficult to Navigate (S)VCD"s useing the Fast Foreword and rewind Button on your Remote with any DVD Player so it is allways a good idea to put in Chapters..You can not do this with Nero, you will need a real (S)VCD Authoring Program Like VCDEasy or even something like "Ulead DVD Movie Factory" (You can download a 30 day demo at the Ulead Web site).....good luck

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well backing up DVD 2 SVCD using Cinema Craft Encoder(using DVD2SVCD), I can ff, fr, and scroll through the chapters of the backup. However, when I use TMPEng encoder or Canopus ProCoder, I can't. Keep in mind that I create bin& cue files and burn, rather than burn the MPEG2 files.

Shoey :)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    DVDRW: LiteOn LDW-411S(4[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2003
  4. snapperlp

snapperlp Guest

thanks for the help, I used vcd easy and it fast forwards now but for some reason on my second disk mid way thru I lost sound, I want to get good at this, I want to add chapters and pics at the beginning I think the way I can do it it is with tpmg just break it up every 10 minutes or so or would that be the hard way I tried all this a couple of years ago and gave up because it seemed so much to do, but now i think I got the hang of it (sort of I just need to tweak everything and get it right thanks alot for the site and for getting back with me
    Snapperlp

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Cinema Craft Encoder is much faster than TMPEn and Canopus ProCoder m8. Use DVD2SVCD using CCE and create bin& cue files.
    ===============================================
    How to backup DVD to SVCD
    ===============================================
    Step 1: Getting Ready.

1. Install SmartRipper (if needed)
    2. Install CCE
    3. Install DVD2SVCD
    4. Install Nero or CDRWIN as required.

Step 2: Copying DVD files to harddrive.

1. Put the DVD movie into your DVD Rom player. It doesn't get much easier than this!

2. I prefer to use SmartRipper than DVD2SVCD own internal programs as I can strip out unwanted Audio and Subtitles. This speeds up the conversion. I can also do this part at my leisure.

3. Run SmartRipper, it should detect your DVD and unlock all files. If it has problems, actually play the movie with WinDVD or other DVD player first, then run SmartRipper.

4. Select Settings and for Key Check set Every VOB File. For File Splitting, set Every VOB File and for Options select Unlock Drive, DeMacrovision, Copy IFO File and Create Directories.

5. Click on Stream Processing tab and check which audio stream is English or the language you wish to rip. Also, if you enable Stream Processing and unselect the langauages and subtitles you DONT want, then the final conversion can be sped up considerably. The VOB files will now be smaller on your HD than they are on the DVD.

6. Selecting Start to start ripping the VOB files of the DVD to your hard drive. This can take 5 to 30 minutes depending on your computer setup and the actual DVD.

A typical directory of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,048,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 296,014,976 <-- This is normally the Trailer, Interviews, etc

Step 3: SVCD Conversion.

1. Run DVD2SVCD. It may complain it cannot find CCE, so click the Encoder tab and then browse your HD for CCE (cctsp.exe) depending on where you installed it. This will happen 1st time it is run only.

2. Click the Conversion tab, and load in the IFO file of the DVD you have ripped to your HD. It will indicate its length and select the correct Aspect ratio mode. There is no Cut or Trim features here. I do not recommend ticking NTSC to PAL box unless you like jerky movies.

3. Click the Misc. tab, then Default Output folder to select the Output folder where all the files will go. Un-tick Dont Delete any Files (not important if you dont) change DVD2SVD Level to Advanced.

4. Click the CDImage tab. If you dont want any fancy Chapters or Title pictures, etc, just click Dont Make Images and you will end up with 2-3 MPG files ready to burn with Nero. If you do want to include Chapter and/or Title Pictures select VCDXBuild. The dafault ChangeCD pic is excellent.

5. Click the Subtitles tab if you want to include and subs. Tick the Rip Subtitles box and select either Permanent Sub titles or SVCD Subtitles (this allows them to be selectable on your DVD Player). In Subtitle Lang. 1 pick the language you want. It must have been on the DVD originally.

6. Click the Audio Tab and click on Audio 2 Priority if your including a second audio track. Leave Audio downsample 48 -> 44.1 ticked as this makes a fully compliant SVCD. Change Audio Bitrate from the default 160bps if you wish but the higher it is, the larger the final file or the lower the Video bitrate used to fit to the CD's.

7. Click the Frameserver tab and select Resize Method to be Bicubic Resize.

8. Click the Bitrate tab to see the number of CD's and their size for the movies length. Leave these at default initially, just un-select Min Avg if its ticked. DVD2SVCD calculates the bitrate automatically for you to just fit onto your CDR's.

9. Click the Encoder tab and make sure Cimema Craft Encoder is selected (and not TMPGEnc). Multipass VBR should be set at 3 or 4, remebering 4 takes 33% longer to encode than a 3 pass. If time is not an issue select 4, else select 3. There is very little quality defference between a 3 or 4 pass SVCD.

10. All is now setup and we are ready to begin the encodeing.

11. Click the Conversion tab again and if all is ready, click the GO button. Click Start Conversion then confirm with OK. If you have selected Subtitles, it will now ask you to select the actual one from the VOB file list.

12. Go to sleep, work or school as this process can take a long time. On a P700 it can take over 24hrs with a 4 pass encode!

13. When finished you will have in the default folder you selected, about 20-30+ files. There will be 2-3 MPG files like bbMPEG_Muxed_File00.mpg if you did not make an image. You will have 2-3 BIN & CUE files like CD_Image_File_CD1.bin if you did.

14. Play them with WinDVD (or your favorite SVCD player software, I dont recommend Windows Media Player) to check them for lip sync near start and finish of each file and any other problem.

15. You have now made your first SVCD files and all thats left is to burn them.

Step 4: Burning.

1. If you have BIN & CUE files, run CDRWIN. Click on the top left button and then the Load Cuesheet button. Browse to the folder where the images were saved to and load the CD_Image_File_CD1.cue file for CD1. Select the Write Speed to be 4x or 8x and all other boxes un-ticked. Hit the Start Recording button and sit back and watch your first SVCD disk being burnt.

2. If you have MPG files, run Nero. Click the Super VideoCD tab for a SVCD, select Create Standard Compliant CD. In Volume Descriptor tab, enter a Volume Label, such as THE_GLADIATOR_1 for disk 1 of the Gladiator. Click on New and then drag & drop the bbMPEG...00.mpg file from the right window (your HD) to the left window (the SVCD disk). Nero will check through the mpg file to confirm that it is a compliant SVCD file. After it finishes checking the file all should be well, click the Burn Button. Select the Write Speed to be 4x or 8x and make sure Disk-At-Once is selected and Finalize CD is ticked. Then click Write and sit back and watch your first SVCD disk being burnt.

3. The excitement builds! When the burning is finished, shut down the recording program, label the CD with a felt pen and rush to your DVD player to check it out. If all is okay, repeat this for the second or third disks remembering to change the Volume Label in Nero. Refer to Nero's or CDRWin's help for further info and clarification on how to use them.

4. You can now safely delete all the files created by DVD2SVCD and delete the DVD VOB files as well.

5. Use only good quality scratch resistant CDR's. Some DVD stand alone players will only read from CDRW's, then burn to CDRW's instead. Burning at greater then 4x or 8x speed can also make them unreadable by many players, particularly the latter part of the CD. Many DVD stand alone units have problems playing SVCD movies, even though the book indicates it can and many will jump and stutter if the bitrate is to high or to low.

Guide copyright by ChickenMan

Shoey :)