1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My system restore doesn't work...need help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jediboy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. jediboy

jediboy Member

Well, I think it's a virus, because I can't system restore. Also, when I try clicking on system restore settings, my McAfee detects a malicious script. And then when I did an Ad-Aware check, my McAfee detected several 'pontentially unwanted programs', which are supposed to be in my 'sytem volume information' folder. On top of that, I can't access that folder (access is denied, it says). The unwanted programs are 'Downloader-NY' and 'Adware-MemWatcher', which I had my McAfee delete, but it didn't seem to work. any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Maybe try this, Boot up and then hit control-alt-delete. Then stop all prcesses. then use the search feature off the start button and look for those 2 files. If they are found, try to delete them there. Then empty the recycle bin right away. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
    You may need to use REGEDIT in the run box to find and delete them. Be careful using REGEDIT and don't delete the wrong items.

Jerry

3. jediboy

jediboy Member

use 'control alt delete' before it gets to where I log in? right when it's booting up?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

No, just after the boot so you are actually in windows.

Jerry

5. jediboy

jediboy Member

alright, right after I log in? I'll try that..I also went into my registry and deleted the files that my McAfee said were the unwanted programs, so, perhaps that'll help...
    but these really shouldn't interfere with my system restore, should they?

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats the fun part about viruses. You never know for sure how they will react. You delete them and they reproduce just as fast if you don't get to the root of it. Some worm viruses attack your mail system, others mess up things like your desktop icons, internet start pages, won't let you do things like use the copy/paste mouse buttons. And of course most are written for XP. Its a fun way to spend several days trying to get your PC back to where it was. Hope you make out OK.

Jerry

7. jediboy

jediboy Member

well, I disabled then enabled my system restore, which seems to have worked....since the virus was in my system volume information, that was wiped clean when I disabled it...