1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My wii stops working whenever I insert a disc into it.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by angeteen, Feb 21, 2008.

1. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

When I turned my Wii on I got the following message: "an error has occured. Press the eject button and remove the disc, then turn the conosle off and refer to the Wii operation manual for troubleshooting."

The time I got this message was when I was trying to update the Argon chip. Because a short will occur if you plug the computer up first, I plugged in the data cable, turned the Wii on, plugged in the USB cable, and then turned the computer on. Because the device wasn't being reconized I unplugged the device, waited a moment, and then plugged it back in. I can't say for sure, but I think when I reinserted the USB portion of the cable was when it shorted out. Is this so? So far I'm reading a straight row of fffff whenever I check the value of the modchip. Any solutions into resolving this problem, and hopefully, any ways to not run into this problem again?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Make sure Flat Cable is installed Blue Side up bewteen the ARGON and Programmer.

Connect the programmer to PC via USB (Install USB drivers if you haven't yet for the programmer).

Now turn on the Wii.

If everything is connected properly for me I get a Blue and Green LED.

I then start the Infectus program on PC then choose TOOLS/START INFECTUS.

Load the update DAT file and choose program.

If you still have issues you might have an issue with the ARGON instillation. Take a picture of your install if possible so we can take a look at the install.

Unpluging then pluging in the USB adapter will not cause the Argon to short.

3. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

What would happen is you hooked the programmer to the Wii, and *then* turned you're Wii on? The reason I ask this is because the laptop was the last thing I turned on in the chain of events that may have caused this to happen. Could the inital jolt of energy of the laptop starting be what caused the chip to short? If not I can't think of anything else that could have started it. I'll take some screenshots and post them to better illustrate what I'm saying.

First off I already know which file I'm using. It's the 1.6 update.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23144372@N07/2282227939

The problem is, whenever I load the file, this is the responce I get.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23144372@N07/2282231161

Essentiall when it reads ID: 000000 that means the console in off. When the console is on however it reads ID:FFFFFF. Both of these are wrong since it should be reading 2a12cf. Unfotunatly, while I have tried to erase the chip, that didn't work, as I kept getting the same error messag.

Up next are the settings. Since I can't find anything for Injectus I've been using the Infectus interface instead. Here are my settings; under the Flash Commands I have it set as Jtag.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23144372@N07/2282233235

Under Actel Firmware it is set as ext. JTAG programmer.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23144372@N07/2283025676

Running out of ideas I tried Wizard II, and to my surprise, it didn't read it as an Nintendo Wii, it read it as PS2! Don't ask; I don't get it either.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23144372@N07/2282237267

That's all of the information I was able to gather. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions let me know what else to try out.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Plugging the programmer in first before powering on the Wii means to plug the programmer into the Flat Cable first before powering on the Wii.

Plugging your USB cable into the PC or into the Programmer while the Wii or your PC is on is not going to short your ARGON and fry it.

I am sure you didn't screw your ARGON up. More then likely it is an instillation problem.

Do you have the 4 extra wires installed? If so what region do you have and what extra 4 wires did you connect?

Plus as I said images would help out allot so get them up as soon as possible.

5. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I'm not to sure about the four extra wires. I tried counting, but without removing the anti-static tape, I can't tell what ends where. Mine is an NTSC console, and when I ordered the modchip, they made a note for it to have the four extra wires, but as you know, slip-ups do occur and happen, so I can't say for 100%.

As for the pictures I've already put them into a previous post of mine. All it is is screenshots, so I don't know if that will help or not. Besides that I do have some good news though; I managed to take apart my consol a second time, and learnt that I did crinkle the wire in sevral placs when I was trying to put the case back on. :eek:ops

Even so, I did manage to take another look at the modchip, took the cable out, reinserted it until I was sure that it was secure, sealed it back up, and tried one last time to fix it. What do you know; it finally worked.

I guess the cable wasn't as secure as I thought it was which is why the modchip ended up being corrupted. After resecuring the connection is how I managed to repair it. So, yes, me being new at this is what caused the problem (although, yes, I still do think those cables need to be a lot easier to insert).

So the good news is the chip is in sound condition, and the problem has been successfully diagonised and resolved. One thing is for sure; this is going to make one nice thread for the archives in the event anyone else has to go through this problem.

One last question though; how many ways are there in order to ground/shortout your chip? This may have been a false alarm, but next time it may not be.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You should have the Wii unplugged when connecting the Programmer to the Flat Cable. After you have securely connected it you can then plug the Wii in and hook up the USB cable between the programmer and PC and turn the Wii on.

After the update disconnect the USB cable from PC/Programmer and turn off the Wii. Then unplug it and disconnect the programmer from the Flat Cable.

Really the only way there is a possibility of a short is when you connect/disconnect the programmer to the Flat Cable but if you do that when the Wii is unplugged you should be fine.

Some will say they don't even do that but it is better to be safe then sorry.