1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00b with a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by iandn00b, Dec 31, 2004.

1. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

ok - so, like many i'm sure, have bought a supercool premodded xbox with a 200gig hd, and a xenium ice chip and don't have much idea on how to use the frickin' thing. So far as I can gather ( and, I'm a n00b in every way lol) I have to back up the xbox's c and e drives first ( using flashfxp through a pc connected through my router?). Then I have to flash the BIOS with some appropriate program ( one compatible with xenium?) before installing a dashboard ( i believe that I've successfully burned the Slayer autoinstall program onto a CD-R). Am I on the right tracks? As much advice as can be given to a doof trying to impress his stepson will be greatly appreciated!

2. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

In a nutshell here's what you need to do. Since you have a 200G drive, you can't be in a hurry to get your xbox working because you need to replace the evox inbedded in Slayer's with Version 1.8.3752 and apply a patch to make the xbox make full use of the 200G drive. If you just slap it together without the patch, you'll only get around 130G of disk space). If you don't want to mess with the patching, you could replace the 200G drive with a smaller one like 120G untill you learn how to prepare the 200G.

1. Boot the xbox and you should get the red Xenium operating system launch menu. Choose Add New Item and select TSOP. The xbox will load the original kernal and then the xbox will boot just like an unmodded xbox. It will ask you to provide a name for the bios so you can just call it Original Bios.

2. Reboot using the original bios and let the xbox boot up. Set the date and time before you continue to flash the hacked bios.

3. Choose which hacked bios you wish to use and either burn it to a cd-rw or the easiest way is to load it to a 256mb pen drive. If the people that modded your box didn't give you the USB adapter then you can't use the pen drive.

4. Reboot, go to launch, Add New Item and this time choose FLASH. choose the directory of where your bios is and install.

5. Now reboot again to the launch screen. Insert your slayers disk and choose your hacked bios. The xbox will boot and then the slayers disk will load and then you then choose the option to install Evox and all applications to the F drive or G drive ONLY if you have the patch installed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

thanks for the help! seems pretty straight forward, except for that patching thing....i think i may have downloaded several versions of evox from a mirc channel and i believe there were some patches in there somewhere...implementing them is another thing....sigh lol

4. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

5. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

hope i'm not too irritating, but i have the original Bios screen pulling up, now i can choose any hacked bios on a pen drive ( there is a usb port in the front) BEFORE installing the patched slayer disk ( am going to work on each step bit by bit lol). Are any specific Bios recommended? Xecuter seems to be popular but am not sure if it's the best. Anyways, thanks for all of the help so far!!

6. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

If you have a version 1.6 Xbox then you need a bios designed for 1.6 Otherwise you can experiment with different ones until you find the one you like.

Currently I am using Evox M7ef Orange. You need onw with eject fix because if you don't, everytime you use the Phx harddrive loader you need to reboot each time you change games or DVD movies.

This bios has in-game reset, harddrive swap capability, increase fan speed and turns the xbox power light to Orange instead of Green.

The current version of the harddrive loader is v1.3a and bioses can be found at xboxstation(dot)com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  7. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

ok - i put the autoinstaller onto my pen drive ( it's a 512mb if that's relevant - maybe too big??) and inserted it into the usb port ( poking through the 4th controller port), go to memory on the original xbox dashboard and it says that the memory slot isn't working correctly and immediately erases everything on it....is the drive too big, not formatted correctly ( i tried it twice and i had to reformat the drive both times on the pc afterwards), or do i have to convert the files on the autoinstaller ( surely it can't be that one lol)? i also wanted to drop a big thanks to you hrdrk for the time you've spent going through it with me lol -

8. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

oh btw, i do have either a v1.6A or B xbox. The site i bought it from uses only those for premodding apparently

9. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

wait - i think i misunderstood before...after i have added the original dash, i have to use the pen drive from the xenium dash...i go to add item, go to FLASH and the usb is recognized as the H: drive...someone recommended i use the xecuter 4977 BIOS - when i download the file it's in rar format...i'm supposed to extract the files on my pc before putting them onto my pen drive right? However, when i do this and try to go to flash, it pulls up each individual file and i'm unsure which item am supposed to select...

10. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

You don't use the pen drive for the Slayers Auto-installer. Burn that to a Memorex CD-RW using Nero 6.

The Pen drive is for the 256k bios bin file. It's only 256k and it's one small file. Whatever you have in the .rar file doesn't sound like a bios.

1. TSOP the original Bios. It's built in the xbox so you don't have to search any files.

2. Reboot and set the date and time on the Xbox

3. Put the bios bin file on your pen drive in controller port 2. Select Flash and then choose the H directory. The bios bin file will appear

4. Reboot and put in your slayers CD-RW disk in the DVD rom drive. Boot up with the hacked bios and Slayers will load if you burned the disk correctly.

11. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

ok - am going to go pick up some CD-RW's for the slayer's autoloader...i think i flashed the BIOS correctly ( i currently have my default dash and X2 4981 BIOS under my items to opt from)so all i need now would be to burn the slayer program onto the cd-rw as low a speed as possible and access the disc using the x2 bios right??

12. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

so my first attempt to burn the cd-rw ( yes, i tried my standard player just in hopes i didn't have to fork over the cash for the nero lol) was a failure - although my bios flash seems to have worked as when i load it up, it loads like the regular xbox screen with "evox" written up in the top left screen. Now however, when i tried loading up my default xbox dash, it says "service required" ( cry, cry) although the other dash loads reg games fine too - sigh

13. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

The Slayers auto-installer has an option to restore the harddrive to the factory settings so hopefully you'll get the original microsoft dashboard back. Go to filetopia and do a compress search for nero 6. You should find a full copy with the serial number. Also search for FlashFXP Final which is a good FTP program.

14. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

ok - ty for the tips - have filetopia although am having a hard time finding/downloading a nero fil - appreciate all the info as always though!! :eek:)

15. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

hmm...sorry to ask for help ( yet again lol) but each time i try to download the compressed nero files, i keep getting demo versions which says my time has expired - do i need to download an access code also? did not realize just how computer illiterate i was lol.....

16. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

1A23-0026-4030-1867-5611-5858

See if this works

17. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

alas a popup telling me " nero has detected an attempt at non-licensed usage" sprung up...but thanks for the try....( i had also gotten that message when i finally successfully downloaded a file through filetopia and tried running it lol)

18. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

ok - got the nero program, have a Memorex 4x 700mb CD-RW - am i ready to just burn it? ( also, i don't see a place where i can reduce the burning speed to 2x)

19. iandn00b

iandn00b Guest

i read a site saying that it'sd reccommended to burn the image of the aid101 sio file onto a dvd-r ( i unloaded it with winrar and that sucker is a hefty 1.2 gig file) - is that right?