1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00bie needs some TEMPGEnc help please :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Hapkuab, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Hapkuab

Hapkuab Member

Hi guys, im new to afterdawn, and I am finding it extremely useful, however ive run into a few problems thatI hope you guys can help me sort out.

I dont know if this first bit is related to my problem, but I think you guys should know the full gist of the problem :)

I recently got a new DVDRW burner (the scournfull NEC 1100A DVD+RW) that comes bundled with Dell machines. Now then Ive had all sorts of problems with the drive already - upgraded to the latest firmware and all that gubbins to make it actually work, I had thought to flash the drive to the NA 1300A firmwareas I have heard that this will increase performance and increase the DVD options the drive can read. I have not done this yet however as Dell are sending me a replacement DVD burner drive because they and I seem to be faulty, but I may have a go afterwards :p

Anyway back to my problem, I have followed the excellent guide to convert .avi files to DVDR format so I can watch all my old .avi backup movies on DVD, but I have come across a few problems.

1) following the avi to dvdr guide exactly to step 4 (creating the MPEG2 file) specifically the bitrate is where I am having the problems.

Using AVIcodec gives the following -
    File : 695 MB (695 MB), duration: 2:07:16, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 45 %

Video : 596 MB, 655 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 7105636*272 (viDxvidvfw.dll), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Not checked

Audio : 98 MB, 108 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Im TEMPGEnc I have followed the guide to the letter: -
    DVD - PAL using MPEG layer 11 audio, video type is non interlaced and at 1:1 ratio. Other settings are set to 2 pass VBR, non interlaced, 9 bits precision and highest quality motion search.

This is where i hit the problem.

video resoultion set to 720x576, the average bitrate is at 2000, the audio bitrate is 384, and DVD-R 4.7GB (UDF) is selected as the media type but the estimated filesize is 7208.55 MB, which is 171.63% of disk capactiy, and I cannot lower it. Therein lies my problem, I cannot create the DVD as the filesize is too big, I have tried the expert settings and lowered the average bitrate for 2 pass vbr to 1500, which fits the DVD but does not work, nor am I really happy with this solution because I do no really know what I am doing.

Could you guys please give me a hand ?

/edit

Having searched the forums for an answer to this problem there is someone having a similar problem to me but the only answer was to create some SVCD's which I am not after

/edit
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVD-R/+R n00b and proud :D[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  2. georgy239

georgy239 Guest

the reason you are getting 171% size size mivies is this, your compression tool is set wrong, you need to change the bit rate setting to something along the lines of 80-85%, this can be done by manually inputting the bit rate into the tool, or if you use virtual dub and select direct stream setting this will give you a movie that is much smaller, i could go on and bore you with the details but i wont, if you want more help then email me directly at georgyporgy239@btconnect.com,
    all the best, keep going cause its really easy once you know what your doing.
    p.s. get virtual dub as this tool will enable you to shrink or compress the movie before you run it through tempgenc.

3. Hapkuab

Hapkuab Member

Thanks for your help georgy239, that worked a treat :)