1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00bie Question/Help Plz

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by sital, Jan 15, 2005.

1. sital

sital Member

I have been surfin these boards for a while now, trying to decide on whether to get an xbot or ps2...and have finally decided on an xbox

I am planning to buy an xbox and then buying another harddrive. The guy who is going to chip it for me said that if i gave him the new harddrive, I can keep the original HD and put the software on the new one. He will modchip the xbox and place software on the new HD (emulators and to play DivX etc)
    The guy said that if then i wanted to play on Xbox live, i should just switch the HD's around again so that the original is back in and i should be able to play, but i would need the original game and he is going to tell me hwo to boot the xbox with the chip disabled.
    To play copied games i should have the HD with the software on in. To backup the games he is going to give me instructions on how to network the xbox to my computer and copy them (using FTP and things).

I was wondering:
    1) Would i be doing anything wrong with these above steps?
    2) Can i burn the games onto Dvd-R or Dvd+R or either?
    3) Can i download games off bittorrent and burn them or is the only way to get copied games by doing the networking/FTP thing?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. 121flame

121flame Member

i think the guy modding the xbox knows what he is doing so no your not doing anything wrong(apart from getting Grude on modders by M$ ;).and i dont know about burning games ive not even got my modd chip yet(lol), but i think dling games and puttin them on the xbox hd via ftp or dvd shall work

3. paymenow

paymenow Guest

you cant put a 120 gb hdd in a older ps2(big one)
    you just use network adapter

i did the xbox one and its cool
    now i want to ps2 mod

but as for xbox

go to http://www.thebroken.org

download the movie with the xbox mod in the blurb

4. 121flame

121flame Member

hey dude, did you read his first post?

anyway its quite obvious that you can wack a HDD in the ps2 SubBay... and why do you need a HDD for ps2 anyway? games are eeeeeer turd, on ps2 :p

5. sital

sital Member

thanks for the help guys

I changed my mind on getting another HD to play live...cuz i dont think i will be buying many original games so i wont be able to play online anyway.

Now i just got to get a Xbox :D

they guy also recommended that i get one with a samsung drive (the one with 2 holes in it), cuz he sed it supports more types of media. However, i looked around on the forums and couldnt find much on the exact differences between the 3 drives
    Please could somebody explain the differences?
    i.e is it that the samsung just supports more brands or is it that it actually supports different media as in Cd-r,Dvd-r,Dvd+r etc

Also, please could somebody tell me if i have to burn the games onto a dvd-r or a dvd+r or either

6. 121flame

121flame Member

Blu - Ray or something like that can support everything, dvd, cd dvd r, dvd rw etc etc but im not sure what brands make blu rays and if there compatible with xbox. but im sure blu rays can support dual layered dvd's

7. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Oh my!! Are we making things up as we go??
    "Blu - Ray" is a new technology that was developed by sony and Hitachi(I believe).The xbox or any other dvdrom drive is [bold]not[/bold] compatible with blu ray.A blu ray single layer disc can hold 25 gb of info,DL will hold 50 GB.
    If your buying a new xbox, they're not going to let you open the tray and check to find the dvdrom drive you want.You get what you get unless your buying it second hand.

8. sital

sital Member

I am thinking of buying second hand so i will be able to check. However, i really want to know what the differences are because if i find a bargain but it doesnt have a samsung drive, i need to know whether to buy it or not.

9. sital

sital Member

I just found a great alternative to Xbox live, called Xlink Kai. It is completely free and works with modded xboxes. You simply add your friends to your list and when they are online, you just network your xbox to your pc and play over the internet for completely free! I only just found out about it and havnt had much time to read up about it, but it seems quite complicated to set up and you have to somehow use xbmc.

Has anybody here got Xlink Kai working on a modded xbox? If so, please could you simply describe how you connect the xbox and pc and how to connect to a game.

Many thanks

10. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I haven't used Xlink Kai but I have used XBconnect.They are Tunneling software installed on your computer and they fool your xbox into seeing others with the same program on the internet as system link connections.If a xbox game is system link compatible, you can play it online with others over the internet through Kai or XBconnect. Only drawbacks are #1 only system link games will work and #2 sometimes hard to find matches with all games.It works fantastic though and I've played others overseas with very good results.
    Download from here http://www.xbconnect.com/
    Web site will tell you how to setup.
    Works fine with modded or original xbox's.You can play backed up games online with it also.Game has to be system link compatible.
    All you do is install the program,connect your xbox to your home network(router),start the game on your xbox and set it to be looking for a system link game or start your own system link game.connect the program(XBconnect)to your xbox and you'll be able to setup games or join games from the software.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  11. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I believe Samsung drives are the best.Most of the newer xbox's have Samsung drives.You have to realize that after alot of use, xbox dvdrom drives are notoriuos for not working properly and giving you that "dirty disc" message even if the disc is brand spank'n new.Most expensive part to replace is the dvdrom drive.

12. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I agee, the Samsung drive is clearly the best as it can handle just about any blank media you throw at it. I've yet to recieve that DD error from my Samsung drive unlike my other Xbox with that piece of shit Thompson drive! I just purchased the samsung drive for it and I'm going to replace it myself and take a sledgehammer to the Thompson drive...Memorial service at 1/26/2005 for a 3 year old Thompson drive, feel free to attend.

13. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

you can put a 120gb HD in the ps2 and with the new hd advanced 2.0 you can go up to 200gb on the old models...the new ps2's do not support the HD(usb loader is in the works though).

I use the HD for my ps2 NeoGeo CD emulator, also games; I dont use the regular HD Loader, I use the mc:0 Dev1 version so I dont have to use the disc or have to boot anything.

[bold]Before you Xbox lovers flame me here are the reasons I went with ps2[/bold]

First I previously had a modded ps1, so I already had a bunch of ps1 backups.

I did give thought to the graphic difference but that is the only thing that is really better about it (the ps2 graphics are pretty close, visually at least)

1) ps2 is backward compatable with the ps1 games + some can be enhanced.
    2) play dvd movies out of the box (without a kit).
    3) has a wider selection of games (software).
    4) the internet play is cheaper$$$ on the ps2
    5) also since I was already used to the psx one controller its nice they didnt change the layout like every other console.

ps: Everybody has there own set of circumstances on why they choose a path, this doesn’t mean I am saying one is better then the other. I am merely explaining my reasoning behind my decision.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  14. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Not another console war!!!!!! Man, I said the hell with it and bought both systems. I think some games play better on a certain systems graphically and because of the control pads. Also, for modding the Xbox smokes the hell out of the PS2 in my opinion. I hate Xbox live and prefer internet play on the PS2. The reason PS2 has more games is because they had a 1 year head start on the Xbox. This is an apples over oranges discussion, there are some advantages and disadvantages on each system. I say just Chip it baby!!!

15. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

[bold]first of all I didnt say one was better then another!!!! (can you not read friend)[/bold]

the ps2 has more games because they have a larger market share around the world!!!! Sega Saturn (march 95) was out 6 months longer then the psx (september 95) in the usa - yet the psx had about 3x more games - another example is genesis (1989-95) and snes (1992-96), the snes had more games (worldwide) then the sega genesis.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=2813

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=2768

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3005

For modchips, the xbox is simpler to chip so therefore if you are technically retarded then the xbox is your system for modchips. Chip wise there about the same for features.

I wanted to answer a couple of questions, but wanted to sidestep getting flamed since its all pro Xbox on this thread and neg ps2. So if I laid out my logic I could avoid this. Apparently you didnt bother to read the entire post.

16. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Just Kidding!!!!lol

17. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

the one thing that is missing in the ps2 v9-v12 models is the "syscon chip" which is a processor for power management; this integrated circuit is missing in these units (v9-v12).

this can cause voltage swing and cause damage to your LA in the v9 or v10 and on the v12 units it can fry your laser coils like eggs;

In simple terms the diode fix (there are different diode on the market)limits the voltage to a max value. but the fix is not very hard to install and it costs less then 5$. there are more advanced fixes you can install that work alot better.

http://ripper3.com/V12_protect.pdf

Xbox & Ps2 hardware quality wise is a non-issue since they both seem to have cheap parts (mainly dvd drives)- its the powerhouse companies that rule the console market now (sony and microsoft)- recently with the slim units, they have made some serious design flaws.

ps: ps2's v5-v8 (v8 japan only) are the most reliable units.

18. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

what are you talking about chief? do you know how to edit; since you put the reply on the wrong forum. just click on the tab on the top right hand corner of your post.

ok, that makes sense!

19. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I appreciate the info on that laser fix issue....good information Gorec!!!