1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N00bish questions about soddering

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Klaxx, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

Alright heres the deal. I have been reading some articles on the forum and I had a few questions.

1st off I have never really sodered anything just a few bad contacts. So my skill out of a 1-10 is about a 1.5

I wanted to get a mod chip for my Wii and I was looking at the Wii key. Now. What kind of sodder and what kind of sodder gun should I use? Is there any way for me to kill my Wii by doing this?

See I bought mine off Ebay (lack of being able to find one anywheres else) and I wouldnt be able to run it back to the store if i broke it.

Also... I have heard something about paper mario? If are there any games out there that will brick my wii...?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I bought and installed a WiiD modchip which only has 5 soldering points (6 if you want to be able to disable the chip) I suck at soldering and was going to have my brother put the chip in but I couldn't wait. So I tried it myself and it was actually easy to install the chip.

You will need a 15WAT soldering iron and use some silver bearing solder try getting the thinest you can find. Some use flux to help the solder flow but I never used it.

You will also need to buy a Triwing screwdriver when ordering the Modchip. This is a special driver to get into the Wii itself to install the Modchip.

With respects to Super Mario paper bricking Wii's that is due to installing a Modchip that has region free capability's. This means you can play all regions on the Wii when the chip is installed and region free is enabled.

What has been going on is some Wii owners did not have their Wii system up to date. When the Super Paper Mario came out it had a system update on the game disc itself. So if someone with a PAL Wii system used the region free option on the chip and put in a Super Paper Mario NTSC game disc the disc would check what System firmware the Wii had and if the Wii was not updated the game disc updated their PAL Wii with NTSC firmware.

Nintendo has region locks on the hardware of the systems so flashing the NTSC firmware on the PAL machine bricked the unit. To avoid this you will need to either use the correct region backup game disc for your Wii or keep your Wii system updated to the newest firmware so the game disc (if using out of region disc) will not update your Wii with the wrong region firmware.

Finally you asked if you could brick your Wii by installing a Modchip. There is always a risk of damaging your Wii by installing a Modchip but if you take your time and are careful then you should be fine. If you do not have allot of experience with soldering get on yahoo or google and type in (how to solder) and read up on tips and tricks veterans use to make soldering easy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  3. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

Thank you very much for your help :)

4. aphexface

aphexface Member

without being rude i think your first question should have been how do you spell soldering. :p