1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N00by question - No FLAMES please.

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by SCSIman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. SCSIman

SCSIman Member

I have a new PSP 2.71 TA-082

I know there are downgraders to 1.5 available
    I know there are custom firmwares available ie 3.40OE
    I know you can emulate via devhook newer firmwares

I know the 1st option you take the risk of bricking your PSP, if your a moron and don't follow the instructions.

My questions are as follows. Based on your answers I will choose what method to apply to my PSP

I have searched but can not find the answers to these in a clear way.

If I were to load 3.40OE from Dark_Alex can I downgrade back to 2.71 at a later time? or do you actually load 3.4OE thru devhook?

Just what are the TRUE advantages to going to 1.5 vs saying loading 3.40OE?

There are so many hacks and so many nubie guides, but they are mostly out of date. Does anyone have a compairson of the methods available and what they can do can not do?

I will continue reading and searching on this. I also will be making a FAQ for these issues since I can't find one!

Thanks ALL!!

2. Frog1

Frog1 Regular member

well you have to go to 1.5 before you can go to 3.xx anything and once your there you wont need or wont to go back to 2.71 anyway.

3. SCSIman

SCSIman Member

Ok, so in order to do anything I need to get MY PSP to 1.5, then I pretty much can do anything I want. I see most people are using 3.03OE C, why do this when 3.4OE is out?

4. Frog1

Frog1 Regular member

that is right. i dont know why i think mayby has something to do with the fact that they have custom themes etc. on 3.03oe-c that they would have to clear and then reinstate when they upgrade. not sure though. i have 3.40oe-a on my psp and it rocks. it fully customizable as 3.03oe-c although i dont see the need so i havent done it myself but other people have done.

5. SCSIman

SCSIman Member

ok, I will downgrade this weekend. Thanks!

6. SCSIman

SCSIman Member

ok, I'm at 1.5! Now the fun begins!

7. Reitfor

Reitfor Guest

You should now go to 3.40 since its the same thing as 3.03 and better, it even has a integrated PSX Emulator, so you only need to put a folder with the Eboot in Games and you can run them. Also its FULLY customizable. So yeah. Have fun. Also since I saw you mentioning Devhook many times. You dont need it to play. 3.40 plays the Isos in a folder you create in the Root.

8. SCSIman

SCSIman Member

Already done, everything is working perfectly. Now my PSP is 3.4OE and I'm backing my games to ISO's now! I love this!

I'm going to go and get another PSP now!

9. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

why so many psps? lol

and if sony releases new firmware that fixes things and what not and adds features, would it be better to stay with the sony firmware rather than custom 3.xx ?

10. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

why do that? if theres a sony firmware thats that great that it has new features, fixes, better options, etc, its ASKING to be hacked.

11. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

i thought only 1.5 had an exploit that could be hacked though.
    for each new firmware, since its Drk alex that makes the custom firmwares, doesnt he add in the new features that any new sony firmware might add?

12. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

what D_A does is creat a program that takes the hack-ability of 1.5/1.0 and the new features of a higher firmware and combines them into one and makes it a custom firmware although he also adds extras like theme changing and the like

13. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

wow, the guy is a genius lol

14. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

I dont think he has a program, Dax knows A LOT of coding, and I mean advanced coding, that explains why theres things that Sony didnt even think of adding.