1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n64 emulator

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by rfox20, Feb 17, 2007.

1. rfox20

rfox20 Member

When I download a nintendo 64 rom there are tons of files in it. All same size and almost the same name. Which one do you use?

2. stevenps2

stevenps2 Regular member

use winrar to extract the rom

3. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

Dont know if you know much bout PSP but the PSP will NEVER emulate 64 games at full speed. Even xbox cant emulate 64 games at full speed. We'd be lucky if we get 3-4 games that play well enough to facilitate actual gameplay.

4. rfox20

rfox20 Member

after i winrar there are for example 12 file2 for a game show up all same size but some have (E), (M3), (!)

5. yohex

yohex Guest

Was N64 that powerful?

6. stevenps2

stevenps2 Regular member

yep its just the differnt regions and what not of the game,but like hex said they arent really playable.

7. rfox20

rfox20 Member

Cool oh well I just used to love the old star wars games ie. battle for naboo and rogue squardarn

8. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

It was a pretty powerful console. but you need ALOT more power then the original to emulate it. When you emulate a console your actually emulating everything, hardware and software.

9. chick3n

chick3n Member

That's because there's not much effort going into it. [Developing a N64 emulator for XBOX]

10. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

Oh there was enough effort. The xbox just doesnt have enuff power. Plain and simple. xbox 360 on the other hand :D.......

11. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I don't know why people keep on hoping for a legitimate N64 emulator on PSP. It'll never happen. I guess many don't really understand the fully concept of emulation. However, it'd will be sweet when 360 or PS3 are fully hacked so there can finally be full speed N64 emulation for all games on a console.

12. chick3n

chick3n Member

The Wii already has an official n64 emulator built in. [n64 games can be downloaded via the WiiShop or w/e]

13. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

It's not really an emulator in a sense. It does emulate it somewhat but there is hardware/software in the wii that is similar to the n64. They still have to "emulate" some of the console but not all. It's kinda like how psp plays psx games.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  14. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

Emulating an N64 on a PSP has a purpose cos it makes the games portable.

What would be the benefit of emulating an N64 on a PS3 or and XBOX 360 ??? If you want to play N64 games in your home then just buy an N64 console, they are dirt cheap.

15. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

What's the benefit? Oh I dont know how bout the xbox 360 wasn't supposed to play them. Yes I know the n64 emu on the psp has a purpose but it's not a feasible idea. The psp plain old flat out doesn't have enuff power to emulate 64. Atleast 360 or ps3 is a fathomable idea. Plus ps3 should already play 64 games, considering you can run linux.

16. Memnock

Memnock Active member

No PS3 can't can't do N64 emulation yet, because with Linux you don't have access to the graphics card. It's 2D emulation only for PS3 right now. With the way PS3 split the RAM it's think we'll see N64 emulation on 360 first, but it's a crap shoot since 360 has really tight security on it with that damn hypervisor.

BTW benefits for N64 emulation on a next gen console:
    -one less console to have to have hooked up aka less clutter
    -no cartridges to be swapping out also less clutter
    -running games with filters to make them look better
    -playing your N64 games in 720p, 1080i or even 1080p

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  17. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

If u dont have access to the graphics card then how does it output video signal to TV. It's not like there is a "generic video driver" for the ps3 like there is in windows.

And I also never said for sure if it could, it was a guess. all I know is my ps3 is running fedora core 5 and everything i have tried so far has worked. It was an assumption.

18. Memnock

Memnock Active member

All kinds of computers without 3D graphic cards in them can still display graphics. The CPU along with the RAM can make on board graphics. It's the same thing when PS3 is using Linux. A dedicated 3D graphics card is required for N64 emulation. Maybe with a buttload of RAM it could possible, but PS3 only has 256MB to work with.

19. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

If u only count the XDR or the GDDR3

System specs for memory :
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

thats adds to 512 :D

Anyhow Ima try this out on my ps3 later just to see how it works, because the linux distro's are now built for the ps3 providing driver support for nearly everything. Only think i can think of that there isn't any driver's for is the built in wifi.

20. Memnock

Memnock Active member

That RAM is split. You typed the info yourself. 256MB for graphics (GDDR3 VRAM) and 256MB for the XDR "MAIN" RAM. The main RAM the only RAM Linux is using. It's pretty common knowledge PS3 split the RAM. 360's isn't split and is to be used any way a developer sees fit. The problem is 360 isn't hacked yet, but when it is the non split RAM will definitely be a benefit to homebrewers.