1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nasty Weirdness Ripping or Shrinking. Nothing Working.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by FlthyChry, Feb 26, 2004.

1. FlthyChry

FlthyChry Guest

I had a VHS tape transfered to DVDR. I don't know what brand they used but I doubt it was anything special. Anyway, the disc plays fine both on pc and my standalone. Trying to rip it onto my hard disc to make a backup however is not going so well...

Shrink comes back with a "cyclic redundancy check" error during the analysis. This however, after the video preview shows the entire project, credits and all, which seems to be followed by a black screen that looks like the last 25% of the disc. Hmmmm.

TMPGEng Author gives me a "Stream Reading (3105/3885MB) error.

I'm trying SmartRipper now and it seems to be frozen at the 79% mark for some 20 mins.

I was successful at making an ISO of the DVD with WinISO but onced burned with Nero 6 the disc shows either empty on my laptop, or is an invalid format on my pc.

I want to re-author this disc with my own menu and chapters. Any suggestions?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Cyclic Redundancy in Shrink usually means a dirty disc, damaged disc or corrupt files. Your other programs seem to confirm this. Since this is a non encrypted disc, have you tried a straight disc copy program as in Nero, Roxio, or Recordnow. It may work, but I think the errors are still going to give you problems. This of course won't help with the re-authoring you want to do.

Jerry

3. FlthyChry

FlthyChry Guest

Hi Jerry,
    Well the disc isn't scratched or dirty.
    That's what I was trying to to with the ISO image, which seemed to be created without a hitch, but after burning with Nero it won't play or even register as having folders. I was hoping that burning to another disc might allow me to rip this buggar. Perhaps a NRG or BIN/CUE image might work. I want to set the boundaries of the project to stop after the credits which seems to be before the disc error.

I'm going to try DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc to mpeg2...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2004
  4. FlthyChry

FlthyChry Guest

Well DVD2AVI did it's thing. I'm running TMPGEnc, which will take 3 more hours, and then I'll author it. I don't like these extra steps though. The conversion from VHS to DVDR was impressive as far as sync and image quality: perfect in fact, and I don't want to lose any of that. I'm not sure what the runtime is. Probably 90 mins. There are 3 shorts, pre-production videos with 3 different actors doing the lead. I'd like to have a menu and chapters and keep this one as the backup.
    I suppose I could use TMPGEnc to make three separate mpegs if this avenue works.

5. FlthyChry

FlthyChry Guest

Got it! Don't know why my first ISO was bust, but I noticed TMPGEnc Author had an ISO write/burn function, and it did the job brilliantly. Just pointed it at the TS_VIDEO folder and let it go at it.
    DVD2AVI with TMPGEnc Plus did a good job too.