1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native full screen?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Fr3dY, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Fr3dY

Fr3dY Member

Hi. I'm using Media Player Classic, and I'd like to know if, when I double click on the screen or use alt+enter, the full screen uses the same desktop resolution, or it's opened in the native movie res.
    If I connect my computer to a LCD TV, and wanna see a 720p avi file, what should I do for best quality?
    Just double click on the movie, or change the desktop resolution first? Thanks

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Hiya fr3dy! ...oh where to start...

- In regards to PCs and PC monitors:
    Modern GFX cards these days use a process called 'Video Overlay'. What this does is takes the video picture in its native resolution (eg: 704x576 for DVD) and upscales it to your desktop resolution (eg: 1024x768) smoothing it as it does this. This is done by the hardware, not the software (Windows) and is one of the things it is made to do so it does it well (or should). So the higher the desktop resolution the smoother diagonal lines will appear - as its all made up of square pixels. It should be noted that the higher your desktop resolution, the more work it will do (or memory will be used).

- Having said that:
    The native resolution of most non High Definition TV sets is 720x576, so setting your PC to that resolution will give you the 'crispest' picture on your TV set, if you GFX card supports it (This is sometimes refered to as 'Pixel Perfect'). However it may not and so it does a similar 'smoothing' to output to the TV. But most of that is only relevant to legiability of text, not smoothness of image.

Where I'm going with this is that infact it matters not and varies from GFXcard to GFXcard and person to person, and its its best to 'tweak' these things until YOURE happy.

I just thought that its good to have some information before you start tweaking, and I hope some of that helps. However if you are having problems, do fine free to ask questions as we're all here to help!