1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nd-3500a is showing up as a cd drive not a dvd - rw drive please help

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by crspyjohn, Nov 10, 2004.

1. crspyjohn

crspyjohn Member

nd-3500a is showing up as a cd drive not a dvd - rw drive please help

im running as a slave drive, its running windows xp (the driver for windows xp dosnt seem to work) and the firmware is 2.17

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Any particular reason you're running it as slave?

3. Skeets247

Skeets247 Member

Mine is doing the same thing but it only does it when I put a blank DVD in the drive. It will show up as DVD-RW in My Computer until I put a blank DVD in. I can burn with Nero but not with DVD-Cloner. When I use Nero I also have two Writer options for the same drive. "NEC-3500 [DVD-RW]" and and "NEC-3500 [CDR/RW]". As long as i choose the DVD-RW instance it works great. I seems as though Windows XP is creating two driver instances.

When I first built my machine I had an NEC ND-2510. Master on Secondary channel. I thought it would be nice to have a second DVD-RW so I could put the movie in one and a blank in the other. DVD-cloner allows you to read from one drive and write to another.

I eventually disconnected the ND-2510 so i could troubleshoot the 3500 thinking XP didnt like two DVD-RW drives but I still have the same issue.

I have installed the most current IDE drivers for my motherboard. I have the current firmware on both drives and I have tried different media.

Anyways... even though the drive show up in My Computer as a CD Drive I can still burn DVDs using Nero 6. Any ideas why DVD Cloner wont work with it. I get a burn failed error as soon as it tries to start.

Nforce 3 chispset.
    1 Gig DDR400 ram.
    AMD 64 Bit 1.8 Ghz processor.
    XP service Pack 2
    DVD-RW is Master on 2nd Channel

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Did you put them on the same IDE cable?

5. jlseagull

jlseagull Member

Did you guys ever find a solution to this?

I just purchased the 3500a and am having the exact same problem. It shows up as a "DVD-RW" drive until I put a blank DVD in, at which point it shows up as a "CD Drive" with a "DVD-R" disc in it. And because it lists as a CD drive, DVD shrink won't burn to it.

So strange....

6. crspyjohn

crspyjohn Member

Yes i found the problem its because of my dvd software. Using nero fixs the problem.

7. jlseagull

jlseagull Member

?

I've got Nero 5 on my comp. But I watch the drive change to a CD drive under "My Computer" not through a burn program.

Just really goofy.

8. crspyjohn

crspyjohn Member

Nero 6 will let you burn on the drive. The cd drive problem is a problem with windows sp1 which dosnt affect the burning process.