1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ndiswrapper help!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by killaklan, Apr 13, 2007.

1. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

i want to install ndiswrapper so i can make my broadcom wireless device work but it says i need to update my kernel...so i was wondering if someone could give me a guide or a link to a step by step guide that can help

ps
    please provide a guide thats easy for beginer

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

What that usually means is your kernel doesn't have the module activated by default, or doesn't have it.

You should be able to load the module manually with modprobe ndiswrapper (or whatever it is called).. I don't do wireless.

Try google with the exact words of the error, or the forums/guides for your distro. If you don't know how to load modules then compiling (or attempting to) will probably be a nightmare, and will likely break the whole lot.

Not specific enough.. Well what flavour are you running, kernel version, wireless hardware, and more info on the error would have been nice.

3. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

I'm so stupid...I'm running opensuse and forgot all about yast

I've got everything under control now

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm too late joinging this one but glad you got it sussed (ha hark at me - geddit - "sussed" - and you use Suse. I'm a poet and didn't know it). Anyway, i do loads of wireless/ndiswrapper stuff, it's all good, in fact it's more than good, just as long as you have supported hardware..

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Reading around one thing has become clear.. Namely that linux is a far better bet with wireless hardware support than vista currently. An issue that is swinging a lot of the more computer savvy users towards linux.. Seemingly the only hardware to avoid like the plague now is the hated WinModem... put that in your "hmmmmm maybe we f***** up" pipe Billy boy..

Glad you got it sorted on your own. Please remember the more info you can give regarding distro, hardware, and OS.. the error and any steps you have already tried to fix it (even if they seem to have had no actual effect.. it saves us suggesting them) will help towards a speedy and successful solution. But doesn't it feel good solving it on your own, the confirmation that you are really getting to grips with it. :) Welcome to the club of competent *nix amateurs.. Today wireless internet.. Tomorrow total freedom from M$ (or the day after..) *winks at creaky*

SuSE seem to have most bases covered hardware wise, and Yast is pretty simple and effective.. That's why I plug it for the less experienced user.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007
  6. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

well I got some good news and some bad news

the good news is that I recently updated to the newest version in hope of getting my broadcom device to work

the bad news is that the p.o.s. still isn't working...is there anymore files besides bcmwl5.inf that needs installing?

creaky I need your help

7. creaky

you just caught me.... you just need the files that go with that inf file,and point ndiswrapper at that directory

8. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

how do you know what file goes the .inf

9. creaky

well whether you use the Windows CD or download the relevant drivers, you'd have the handful of other files ie not just the inf file

10. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

ok I put all the files from the cd into /etc/ndiswrapper/ but the wlan is still unable to turn on

i typed in ndiswrapper -l and it says the device is present...wtf?

edit:
    i'm so stupid...i forgot to reboot and now the wlan device turns on

but a new problem has arrisen...it doesn't connect to my router even if i'm right next to it

how can i fix that?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007