1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nearing my first attempt...I think. A quick question please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Doohickey, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Greetings all..what a great site! I've been reading and reading this and other forums for like..4 full weekends now trying to learn how to do this and I gotta say.. my brain is about frazzled. But at the advice of Scuba Pete, DrChips, Herbsman and many others, today I have downloaded DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and Nero 6, and I just waved a tearful goodbye to my Roxio program. I'll be ready for anything now, I thought..but..I haven't installed them yet because while Nero was downloading I came across a post regarding Fat32 vs NTFS. My file system is Fat32(sigh). I searched the archives on this topic and got a zillion hits. After much reading, I'm still unsure if fat 32 is ok or not. Some people say you must use NTFS, some say Fat 32 is ok because the movie is divided into 1GB chunks, and so forth. I'm truly sorry to ask this question again, the definitive answer is probably there somewhere, I just couldn't find it. Can someone please tell me once and for all if these 3 programs will work under Fat32, or do I *have* to convert to NTFS. I'll convert if I have to, but I'm not looking forward to it. And then there's no sense installing any new programs until this issue is cleared up, eh? I'm really dying to try my first dvd burn, but error msg's and coasters will freak me out after all this reading and preparation!(nervous chuckle) Please advise!
    Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
    Anxiously awaiting your reply(s),
    Doohickey ;)

Oops, almost forgot..my specs, if needed, are:
    P4 2.4 GHz, 512 ram, 140GB HD, Sony DVD-RW DW-U14A, JLMS DVD-rom, SiS 64MB video, WinXP home sp-1, Sony dvd+r media

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Doohickey,

"How're y'all doin," I say, "Howdiiieeee !!"

Hey there little Buddy, download that there good stuff, and let's fire off some backup DVD's, What's ya say ??

I be a-tellin' ya, iffin I done waited until I got me this here fancy "Puter" with NTFS, well Goodness me, I would be just lost - Hoooeee,Huuummmm - NTFS, FAT 32, Dwarf's and twiddle doos, I say my friend, time ta jump in, the water's fine -

Your little "Puter" with your Fat 32 will be finer than frog hair -

Come on back iffin' ya need some help :D

an "Welcome," I say, "Welcome to the Club" :p

Pete

and Bye the Bye, That there was a fine post - wish they all gave us good information and a crisp clear question (and also one that we knew the answer too, hehe))
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  3. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

wow, that was fast!...Thanks for responding and the warm welcome Scuba Pete, (I was kinda hoping you would). I'm glad to hear I won't need to convert. I probably will anyway sometime, NTFS is obviously a superior file system. I just didn't want to deal with that now... maybe next month or the month after that I'll get around to it, lol.
    By the way, I was just reading your post to Virgil. When you say turn EVERYTHING OFF in msconfig, do you mean *everything*?..as in uncheck every single box?, or just the programs you know you won't be using. Some of those items, I don't even know what they are, but i see things like mouse and keyboard. Probably a dumb question, but could you clarify that for me? And also, should we write down what we uncheck and re-check them once the burn is finished? I just want to be sure I understand what to do. Thanks again for the welcome and I will let you know what went wrong...er...I mean..how my first backup went, lol Adios for now ;)

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i don't know what post you were reading about msconfig, but you shouldn't have to do anything in there to be able to copy dvds.

5. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya guys.......i am running all the same software as you doohickey and i have run on win 98 (fat32) and win xp (ntfs) and have had no problems at all (except for my lack of knowedge of course).

welcome my friend and good luck!!!!

6. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

hey sly_61019,
    the thread was "copying dvds' by vhummel and it refers to shutting down unneeded programs running in the background before starting your project to save on system resources. Sounds like a good idea to me. I already have most things unchecked under startup, but others could have problems if there's too much unnecessary crap running.

hey viper6699,
    great infomation, thanks! ;)

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, OK, Mr. Hickey of the Doos, -

The only thing to NOT shut down would be your Keyboard and your Rat (mousie) if they are wireless - "Ya gots ta have," I say, "Ya gots ta have controls ta move wid."

There isn't anything that has to be on except those 2 things) in msconfig -

Yes, it would be a good idea to hit "Print Screen" so that you have a record of what was on your start up - I've seen people with upwards of 50 things checked in their startup window - every program they had they let go there -
    Remember, we're doing this so that there will be nothing else fighting for your system's resources.

Ok there my Good Fellow, let's give it a shot and see where we go -

"P"