1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nebiie needs help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bum, Oct 18, 2002.

1. bum

bum Member

I'd like to pluck out certain tracks, on some of my concert dvds, and combine them
    into single dvd.
    My car, only holds 6 disks
    I'm a sound nut, so I'd like to keep the same great sound quality I have now.
    what type/brand of dvd recorder equipment
    should I purchase, and how should I go about this.
    any help welcomed.
    I stumbled into your site looking around for dvd recorders
    Thanks, Steve

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure I quite understand your requirements. It is quite feasable to extract audio from a DVD disc, and then copy to a CD type disc. Is this what you are talking about ?

It is also possible to extract individual tracks from a CD and combine them on a single CD.

HomerJ

3. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I know what you want to do, this is one reason I got into DVD-ripping. Your car will almost certainly not play DVDs, I imagine you have a 6CD changer in the boot. If this is the case, you don't need a DVD writer at all, although it might not be a bad investment if you are also a movie nut! You need: PC, CD writer, DVD reader. That's about it. The rest is software, mostly free which you can download from this site. You need :

SmartRipper
    DVD2AVI
    Nero (free for 30 days and has a 'decent enough' audio editor for cutting up the audio.

Download this stuff, then have a look through the guide about DVD-VCD :

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm

I know you are not interested in Video, but you will follow the first few steps here to make your music. Basically follow the guide upto the DVD2AVI bit. Do not downmix the audio to 44.1, as 48 KHz is standard audio CD quality, I think. When DVD2AVI had finished, one of the files left will be a rather large .wav file , this is your music :). You can either cut this up in the Nero editor, which to be honest will take ages, as it is likely to be seriously cumbersome, or, if you feel comfortable with SmartRipper, when selecting the rip only select those chapters (tracks) which you want and SmartRipper will only rip the audio/video from these tracks, making the resulting .wav from DVD2AVI much more manageable. Hope this is not too confusing!

The last bit is simply use Nero's (burning software) audio editor to fiddle (if necessary) with the files and put the tracks in order on the left hand side window to burn. You can vary the fade from crossover (very useful for live recordings), fade in/out (sinusodial, exponential, linear etc) and make a professional type CD. Use quality media as believe it or not some car stereos are crap with CD-R media and record at 1x speed.

Also bear in mind that this is for the purpose of backing up audio tracks you have purchased, from a DVD. Not to sound unnecessarily santimonious, but Afterdawn does not endorse piracy!

Good luck and post to this thread if you have more questions for me or anyone else.

Paul.

4. bum

bum Member

I still need help
    Piracy is not my intent.
    I do have dvd player in my car, with a navagation sys., and an extra $4000. worth of amps and speaker sys.
    I just want to select certain tracks of the audio and video from my favorite concert dvds.
    And in the best quality possible collect them on the limited 6-pac So I can have some happy motoring.
    Thanks for any advice
    Steve

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Assuming your DVD system supports audio CDs and I can see no reason for it not to, then all you need to do is follow the previous advice. In certain countries, I believe that backing up audio CDs is OK. I suggest backing up to CD R media, because I can see no benefit in using DVD for your CD tracks.

Paul.