1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec 1300a

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mikeb56, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mikeb56

mikeb56 Member

I am new to dvd burning. I started out with +rw fuji for practice. The burner performed just fine. Today I picked up some -rw to practice with. I put the disk in and loaded the files but the burner just set at idle. I put the +rw back in and it burned fine. The -rw is memorex. Should this make a difference? I also upgraded the firmware from 106 to 109 but no help. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Memorex can be spotty sometimes. You might try a Fuji -RW and see if that improves things.

3. mikeb56

mikeb56 Member

Thanks
    I will give it a try
    Mike

4. quadpit

quadpit Member

I have the 1300A and had the same problem with any DVD-R trying to back it up with DvD Xcopy Xpress and DVD Shrinker. +R/+RW works fine but not the -R/-RW. I ended up buying some +RW disks and use them to back up my movies and then transfer them to DVD-R after a clean burn with the Roxio or Nero disk copy feature. It takes twice as long but I do not waste money making coasters and I can test the burns on my players before I commit a non-rewritable CD. THat's my workaround for now.

5. mikeb56

mikeb56 Member

Thanks
    I will keep it in mind
    Mike

6. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I have got a Freecom DVD R/RW +/- and i purchased some real cheap -r discs off the net and could not get them to work not matter what i tried. So anyways after some digging around i found out that my drive is a rebadged nec 1300a drive. Then i done some more digging and found this website http://www.herrie.org/ go to the downloads section/firmwares/hacked firmwares/ i flashed my drive with the new firmware and the discs worked perfectly 50 out of 50 no coasters. So you could try updating the firmware but be aware if you dont know what your doing you can knacker your writer permenantly
    See ya

7. G()dz

G()dz Member

Its all down to the media - I have the same drive and I use ritek G04 dye type discs from http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk amd they will pretty much play in anything

8. mikeb56

mikeb56 Member

Thanks for your help. I think I am going back to Vcds. Its much easier, Cleaner, quicker and the menu is a slam dunk. I will wait till everyone is working in the same format before I try this again.
    Mike