1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 2500a - No audio in DVDs, no audio CD playback

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Nicholo, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Nicholo

Nicholo Member

Hey all -- I just installed a new (OEM) NEC 2500a dvd RW. I cannot get audio during DVD or CD playback. I plugged in the IDE and power connectors. I was able to burn a music CD-R, and it played fine. I am using WinXP SP1, and this is the only optical drive I have installed right now. If this is relevant, I have an Asus P4S533E, SiS 645DX mobo, with a 1.6GHz P4 with 768mb DDR333 and a 40gb maxtor HD.

Here's where it gets a little interesting (and confusing for me). I replaced a lite-on CD-RW drive with this current dvd-writer. That CD-RW played CDs back and could burn data, but it could not burn audio files (i.e., could not burn mp3 into CDA files onto CDR). I have no idea why I could hear audio from it, but it couldn't encode audio. I don't know if this is related to me current problems (e.g. perhaps a problem with sound card or mobo..., just a weird pattern of results from that drive and from the current DVD drive). To reiterate, my current DVD-writer does the following:

1) Burned mp3s from my HD to a CDR, creating a disc with CDA files that were playable in normal CD players.
    2) Plays video but not audio when I try to play a working, authentic (not burned) DVD.
    3) Does not play audio when I try to play a working, authentic (not burned) CD. In fact, in winamp anyway, the progress slider moves along as if it is going through a song, but displays no "peaks" in the display, suggesting that it is receiving no audio data at all. (I don't pretend to know if this is relevant -- just thought it might be.)
    4) Have not tried to burn any DVD media; don't own any blank media yet!

Also, as of right now, I'm trying to playback with WMP and Real Player (sorry!). I haven't tried any other apps.

I'm sure I've left out some useful information for you gurus, so if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to try to clarify or run tests. Really appreciate any help you can offer!

~Tim

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Did you plug in the audio connector too?

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you don't need the audio cable to play digital music (or dvd movies), it is carried over the IDE connector.

4. Nicholo

Nicholo Member

Hmmm..., not sure about any other cables. I only plugged in those two. Given that those were the only cables for the older CD-RW drive, I guess that's one explanation, although Sly points out that audio is carried by the IDE cable.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Can post pictures or anything that might provide additional information. Thanks!

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

You do get sound when playing files stored on the computer right?

6. Nicholo

Nicholo Member

Yeah, speakers, sound card, etc. seem to be working fine. Good starter question, I reckon... "Sir, is your computer plugged in?" ;)

7. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Hey you can check to see if u atleast have Digital CD audio enabled in the CD/DVD-ROM properties in the device manager.

8. Nicholo

Nicholo Member

Thanks heybilly. I had checked that, and it was enabled. Any other thoughts? :)

9. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Uhhh.. hate to say it but... Volume Control

10. Nicholo

Nicholo Member

Checked all volume controls I could find, hard and soft. But I'm sure you'll eventually come up with one simple fix I haven't thought of. Or at least I hope so -- it would be so much easier to fix!

11. francop

francop Member

same problem
    it works well, but when i see dvds i can't hear anything
    help!