1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 3500 and Standard DVD ROM Drive Setup

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by stepho, Sep 8, 2004.

1. stepho

stepho Member

Hello. A complete newbie here. I got my Dell 4600 yesterday, it comes with an "Optional 48x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive 48xCD-R, 32xCD-RW, 48xCD, 16xDVD with PowerDVD and RecordNOW" - I also bought the new Dual Layer NEC 3500 DVD Burner. I'm going to try to put the new burner in tonight but I believe I need to set which one will be master/ slave etc and I have to find out about rip locking and bit setting as I will be using the burner to backup XBOX games. Can anyone offer any advise on setting up these two drives so they work most effectively.

Also - what software will I need - I have DVD2One, DVD-DECRYPTOR at the mo. All useful replies much appreciated.......stevo

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Personally since DVD burners need priority I'd set the NEC as Secondary master and the combo drive as Secondary Slave since I never fool around with "on the fly" copying and would prefer to leave the hard drive by itself on its own channel though I imagine you could place the combo drive as Primary Slave if you wish.

I'd recommend using the combo drive for all your ripping chores since it most likely will not have it's DVD video rip speed locked.

Here's a link to an NEC-3500 SL/DL bitsetting utility:

http://wesleytech.com/files/MADDOG2F8.rar

If you want to wear out your burner faster here's a riplock-free firmware:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#MD16XDVD9

3. 2005

2005 Regular member

Like Nelphilim said, use your dvd/cd rw combo drive to rip becasue the NEC ND 3500 doesnt need that kind of wear... and to be honest its best you place the nec right where he said.. secondary master as this is the best place to flash the firmware from.. i would also set the combo drive to secondary slave as i also dislike "on the fly" burning. Enjoy

4. stepho

stepho Member

i have combo as secondary slave and NEC as secondary master. Does this mean I can't copy on the fly? Although I did copy an audio cd on the fly last night with good results. Can you give me an idea of now long it should be taking me to copy a dvd to HDD then burn compared to just copying on the fly? How come you guys don't like copying directly?

So are ye saying that i should use the combo to rip to my HDD with, say, DVD Decrypter, then once its on HDD burn to blank DVD with the NEC?

Whats the bitsetting utility for? I am cluless about this one.

And the rip lock - I know what this is but what speed is it locked at now compared to what it could be if i unlocked it. Would unlocking it destroy my NEC drive - I was planning on keeping it for as long as possible. How can I know for sure which is actually faster for burning to HDD?

Cheers fellas...........stevo