1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nec 3500a, won't reconize TDK dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by elky999, Dec 29, 2004.

1. elky999

elky999 Member

ok, so i installed it the nec by removing my old cd/rw and i changed the jumper setting to a csel. windows reconized it as a dvd+/-rw. So I copied a dvd to my hardrive using dvd shrink. i can watch the movie on my computer, the files are labeled as "dvd movie." When i go to burn them with nero, i burn them as a minidvd.

Then when i tell nero im ready to burn it tells me i need to insert a dvd+/-r. even though its already in the drive. and if i put the disc back in it doesn't do anything.

any ideas? thanks in advance

2. swervin

swervin Regular member

First, I have a NEC 3500A but I haven't tried any TDK disks. Anyway, why did you use cable select on the jumper? Do you have another drive on the same cable? I prefer Master and Slave settings myself. Have you checked the drive with Nero to see if it lists the NEC drive?

Why are you buring as a miniDVD? Are you using miniDVD's to burn on?

Mike

3. elky999

elky999 Member

i used the cable select because thats what my old cd burner used.

i don't really know why i used a mini dvd setting.

i guess i'll try making the nec into a primary, and seeing what that does

4. rosspod

rosspod Member

elky,

something i learned in the first five hours of owning my drive, is that dvd burners are very picky about thier media. it could be that your drive doesn't like tdk. also check out this thread, it has some other things to check out when you fist install a new burner : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/123312

and until you get the hang of it, id get some rw's to test on before you go making coasters of regular r discs.

good luck!
    -ross

5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Verbatim baby! We all share the same drive and I bought some 4x DVD-R Verbatim for extremely cheap. They all burn @ 8x reguardless of being 4x media. I've burned about 30 so far of the 50 pack and not one coaster yet.

I'm also using the 2.17 firmware update.

6. rosspod

rosspod Member

divinus,

im a huge verbatim fan, where did you pick your media up at?

thanks,
    ross

7. elky999

elky999 Member

ok, so changing it over to a primary didn't work. I'll try upgrading the firmware, i see nec has an update.

i'll see if a friend of mine has another brand besides tdk. although i burned a cd-r with it that was a tdk.

i will also take check the things in the other thread to see if there is something on there i missed.

thanks for the help

8. elky999

elky999 Member

ok, i want some backup before i know the advantages of flashing the firmware because it looks like it could be a pretty risky deal. Will it help windows reconize that the dvd burner is acutally a dvd burner rather than a cd burner only?

9. elky999

elky999 Member

Today i uninstalled nero and was going to reinstall it, but now it won't reconize any discs. dvd, cd, ect. I uninstalled it from the device manager, and it didn't help.

I also tried moving the jumper back to cable select.

I'm tempted to install my old cd burner and run them as a master/slave setup.

it just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to install a dvd burner

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

elky999,

To ensure proper working, set jumpers to master and put your burner as primary on yout IDE cable. Your IDE cable s/b an 80 pin cable not a 40 pin.

There s/b np problem flashing your drive - the only thing to double-check is that the firmware is the exact one for your drive - That means that the numbers must match exactly, not close, not almost - they must match exactly.

Of major Importance – When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

Burning CD's has no bearing on the operation as a DVD burner. they are two different things.

LASTLY, NEC's from the beginning of time, even though they all say "Dual format" they like +R media better. As you've been told, NEC's LOVE Verbatim and RiData - feed them right and they'll always be happy -

You are "Flashing" your burner not windows.

Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Pete

11. elky999

elky999 Member

thanks pete, i will set it up as you descibed.

go buy some verbatum disks and flash the burner.