1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC 3520a writing questions

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by andyjl, Apr 4, 2005.

1. andyjl

andyjl Member

I have an NEC ND-3520A DVD burner. When i first got it, i burned a CD-R at 40x. Between that time and now, i burned a few DVDs, now I am trying to burn a CD-R and
    when i try burning with nero 6.3, i select it to burn a CD data file (ISO), now the only speed options are at 8x and 16x. I have no idea why it is like this. Could anyone tell me why this is happening and how i could fix this. The NEC is suppose to burn CDs at 40x or 48x. I got this from newegg.com, so i think it was oem, i don't remember. Would upgrading the firmware be it, or am i missing something?

Thanx

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i wouldn't have thought it's firmware as you have a really new drive. the only thing i can think of is , are you using different media, ie maybe it's not adequate (daft statement i know as these days all cd's should be at least 40x by now); maybe someone else could offer some help..

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

4. creaky

cheers bbmyao, i forgot about DMA. How on earth that's possible i don't know, what with the abundance of DMA problems lately :)

5. andyjl

andyjl Member

well i checked the DMA settings and they are fine. As for the media I am using, I am using the GQ CD-R, I've used them before and they are fine, they don't seem like cheap media and they are suppose to burn at i think 40x or higher. Any other ideas why my CDs are burning only at 16x max?

6. creaky

hmmm, i somehow doubt Nero 6.3 is the culprit, but how about posting your last section of Nero log anyway....

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i have the same identical drive w/ a region free patched firmware, but, it doesn't improve things much. i bought mine from newegg OEM too, so, i would recommend you keep the factory firmware setting. however, if those are the GQ cd-rs that you purchased from FRY's Electronics, the problem is DEFINITELY your media. they were so cheap i bought them a few years ago only to find that NONE of my 100 pack spindle play in anything i have now...basically a huge spindle of coasters that i have sitting here collecting dust, i can not extract ANY of the info i have on any of these out. whether it be data or music (since cd-rs were not capable of putting huge amounts of data such as a movie nowadays 800megs in pale in comparison to blank dvd-rs now) all useless now. my suggestion to you since i have the same drive on my 2nd computer, change ur cd-r media, i have since been using tdk's for my blank cds now with no problems so far and have thrown the other 3 spindles (300 cds) of GQ and Khypermedia cd-rs in the trash. they aren't even worth the $10 i spent for 100 at the time` :p hope that helps you out.

8. creaky

aha, i hadn't done a google on that media yet, hadn't heard of them tho!

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ creaky

juss a FYI, they SUCK~ i purchased them in bulk from Fry's here in southern California when they were on sale few years ago when dvd media was very new and very expensive. i had massive amounts of mp3s and data to back up and the price for large harddrives were too expensive for me as well, so i went the cd-r route. i haven't even done a google search on them, this is from PERSONAL experience...these are just as bad if not WORSE than my fake TY dvd blank media~

10. andyjl

andyjl Member

wow.. can't believe you guys have so many probs with GQ. I've burned quite a few things with GQ (mostly data) and video files and I can access them fine still, even after like 2 years. Hmmm..well i'll try using another brand CD-R and see if that fixes things. oh btw, how do you get the nero log?

11. creaky

@andyjl - the Nero log is in c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log.. if you're gonna post it a section of it, make sure to cut out your seial number, it starts with 1A21 or similar..

@kivory666 - i've just added to 2 or 3 TY threads, can't remember if i saw you on there... (its too early!)