1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC ND-1300A Problem!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Solo_Tek, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

Hello All,

Recently I had some interesting things happening on my PC and one of those was a HD that crashed and along with that come some problems with a NEC DVD-Rw that I own. After the crash I cleared the that HD and rewrote the 1,0's to the HD and it works fine. But to the purpose of this thread, when I hooked up my NEC drive I noticed the green light would come on and stay on. A few things that it is doing:

1.Light stays on right at boot up- Even with the IDE disconnected the light remains on at all time with just power and does not respond?

2.My Bios does not even read the drive itself?

3.Because of 1 and 2 I cant even reset the firmware because windows cant even pick up the drive due to the Bios.

I have taken the drive apart to make sure that nothing was jammed or nothing was burned out on it. Everything looks brand new other than a little dust I cleared away. I used the drive a lot until the crash and so I went out and bought a new LG DVD burner and that was a mistake, it also has to be sent in for exchange ( I got them to do an upgrade on it). But I was wondering if their is someway to do a hard reset on the drive itself with just power connected to it or without power. If I can just get it to be read as anything I can at least get in and reset the firmware. Any help will do, Thanks.

2. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

I think you might have a faulty IDE cable. Do you see the drive in Windows? Are you plugging in the IDE cable the correct way?

3. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

No I cannot see the drive in windows anywhere nor is it being read by the Bios.

Im not sure if a faulty IDE would cause only a dvd-burner to not work.

I can hook up my cd burner and it runs just fine but when I attempt to hook up the dvd-burner I get nothing.

Could it be that the cable is faulty and only works for cd burners and not dvd burner because the LG drive I have sent back will burn cd's just not dvd's so Ill try a new IDE cable and get back to you on that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  4. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

I hooked up 2 new IDE cables:

One to the DVD-Rom and DVD-Burner

The other to my Hard Drives and I get the same thing, no response from the Burner.

Also I noticed that when the burner is plugged in the system hangs at the post screen for a bit and sometimes I have to reboot to get it past.

Any other ideas?

5. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

So you have 2 dvd drives? Did you set one to master and the other to slave?

I would just insert the dvd burner as master and leave out the other drive.

6. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

Yes I have one set to master and one set to slave.

it wont matter if I run it alone because as soon as I connect the power the light comes on and wont go off. But ill give it a try.