1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC ND 2510A Dual Layer burner......Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by SW20, Jun 23, 2004.

1. SW20

SW20 Guest

Does anyone have this drive? IF so what are your opinions on it? I have a NEC 2500 and love it but I a want Dual Layer Burner.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't buy any dual layer burner right now since the media would cost more than most of the movies I buy so I could buy a second copy cheaper than doing a backup. You should at least wait until the media is cheap enough to be worth buying because the drives will probably cost half what they do now. Okay they may cost more than that, but they'll certainly be significantly cheaper. Most likely, at that time the drive manufacturers will be fighting for your business.

Personally I'm figuring on probably getting a dual layer burner around Christmas. I expect to see major price drops from the manufacturers coupled with a big sale or 2 from good retailers. That's what I did when I bought my first burner and the price went from $350 to $225 in a matter of 3 weeks. And that was when burner sales were a small fraction of what they are now.

For more info on Dual Layer media prices see fasfrank's post on this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88401
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm with vurbal, wait till the second gen drives, let the kinks get worked out and by then media will be cheaper. I'll get a DL when either Plextor or Pioneer put one out.

4. jeepguy

jeepguy Guest

I have the drive, no DL discs yet. For the price ($90), even if it doesn't do DLs very well, who cares. I have burned many SLs just fine. It didn't cost much more than a SL burner and since I needed a DVD burner anyways, I got the 2510A.

5. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

Hi, Just wanted to know if you like your NEC drive and if you have burned Ritek G04 4X SL disks. If so do they burn well.

Thanks,

6. Wise

Wise Member

Flash your NEC 2500 with the windows flash tool by Herrie. It will increase the speed you can record most DVD-R/+R (such as 2x-4x DVD's at 8x) and supposedly makes the NEC 2500 a NEC 2510 dual layer burner. I have flashed a 2500 and it improved the burner as stated and now shows in Nero as a dual layer burner but I have no media to try it yet on dual layer burning but it was an improvement in other ways. I also have a NEC 2510 but have not flashed it with the hacked firmware yet to increase burn speeds as I want to get some dual layer media and try it out in both burners.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=25904

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  7. MAXTINNI

MAXTINNI Member

Hi there ....is any know how to copy a dual layer dvd to a single layer dvd?

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

9. amandamp

amandamp Member

I've had my 2510 for about two weeks and it works great. Burner 3 DL discs using DVD Decryptor, no coasters.

10. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

Hi, I just got my 2510A and so far am very pleased. Using the firmware that it shipped with I have burned about 8 Ritek glossy silver 4X DVD-R's with no coasters. I am a little leary of Ritek 8X -R media with this drive as they don't officially support it. Has anyone used G05 -R media on this drive? With or without hacked firmware?

11. MAXTINNI

MAXTINNI Member

To a single layer DVD?...mmmmm!! if is DVD movie u can with any compress program like DVD2one copy and burn.Most movie are record in 2 layers dvd(remember that)so some games but it can b done AND!!!! if is movie got to ancode the dvd ..in my case i get the dvd-r dl so a dont have to deal with it(got to wait 4 the dvd to coming up cheap)

12. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

MAXTINNI,

Do you even understand your own post? And of course we know that most movies are on dual layer discs ... that is why they are called dvd-9's. And your saying "some games" are on dual layer discs? Name one. Most games I come across are no bigger than 700mb ... some games come with multiple disks.

And originally you ask
    Then you say this
    So, if your going to wait for dl media ... Why even post a question how to compress a dvd-9 to a dvd-5?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  13. pieman

pieman Regular member

yup.I cant get me head round it either.

14. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

I recently bought one of these. The drive is awesome. Writes/Reads really quietly. Have burned 5 4x Ridata DVD-R's and no coasters. Haven't tried DL discs yet, not willing to pay the money for DL media yet.

15. jerrry135

jerrry135 Member

i just got the NEC ND-2510A. Tried backing up a couple of my movies, which is really what i got it for. I've tried Nero (simply refuses to let me continue), Clone DVD (copies all files to the hard drive and never makes it past "preparing to write..." before it says error), and Pinnacle DVD (says there is no blank media in the drive). I have DVD-R from Best Buy about six months old. i would very much like to quit getting coasters. Is it my type of blank media? Any thoughts?

16. jerrry135

jerrry135 Member

the error i get in clone dvd is

"writing to dvd was not successful:
    DVD write error (WriteDVD 9)
    A DVD write error has occured, probably caused by a bad medium.
    Please replace the medium and try again."

does that mean i need a dual layer disc or is there a setting so the dvd writer will burn as if it is a single layer burner?
    thanks

17. Zerxez

Zerxez Member

Well you problem most likely is media, but could be a bad drive. Also did you upgrade it to the latest firmware? Version 1.16 just came out and appears to help with a lot of media. I have been burning Ritek SL 4X disks with no coasters (60 disks so far). It seems to be a good drive, but I am already upgrading to the new Pioneer 108 next week. If firmware and better disks don't work then you should probably consider the drive itself bad. The reason it sounds like media is that for some reason Nero thinks you have DVD-9 disks which could be a defect in the disk.
    Cheers.