1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC (ND-3500A) 16X DVD +/- R/RW (DUAL LAYER) WRITER

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dg3elite, Nov 20, 2004.

1. dg3elite

dg3elite Regular member

im just wondering if anyone owns this burner and what they think on it.. the full specs are

(ND-3500A) 16X DVD +/- R/RW (DUAL LAYER) WRITER (16X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 16X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R9, 12X DVD, 40X CD ROM 48X CD-R 16X CD-RW)

are their any better then this for a similar price?

2. dmiller3

dmiller3 Member

I just bought a NEC 3500AG dual layer DVD recorder and have not had any luck with it. I messed up 8 blank DVD's so far. I emailed NEC, but no replies.

3. life4k2

life4k2 Member

Sony and samsungs are usually the best

4. Cryptix

Cryptix Guest

i love this burner
    its fantastic,

try new media if ur burning coasters

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

NEC's are of decent quality but can be picky with media whereas Plextor and Pioneer simply can't be beat for quality and performance :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  6. ag22

ag22 Regular member

I used the Memorex one and Thought it would be shit but it flies through operations. I burned Finding Nemo in like 20 minutes using AnyDVD and Nero.

7. dg3elite

dg3elite Regular member

so is this recomomended or should i go with another burner?

8. Nephilim

My best advice would be to read as many reviews both official and by users and decide for yourself :)

9. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Well I PERSONALLY like Memorex becuz there is no need to worry about compatibility issues since they usually have the cheapest discs, and they are of good quality. But if you are looking for bargain discs all of the time like I do right now, then Id go with Plextor because from what I hear they have strong lasers. But its all personal preference so like Nephilim said you should read and decide for yourself. Just like burning software try some and decide for yourself.

10. Cryptix

Cryptix Guest

I heard memorex is the crappiest media ever, i switched to Fujifilm and i've never looked back

11. MSTFreak

MSTFreak Member

i have bought this burner about 2 months ago and i have never had a coaster(burned about 100 cds and 30 dvds).

its absolutley the best bang for the buck. go to videohelp.com for user comments.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  12. dmiller3

dmiller3 Member

I have tried to use Verbatim DVD- blanks with no success. Today, I tried using a blank Verbatim DVD+ and everything worked fine. This recorder is supposed to work with = or + blank media, but I guess I'll have to buy only the plus blanks.

13. XhyDra

XhyDra Member

@dg3elite
    I see you are interested in the NEC ND-3500AG, all I can say is you won't go wrong with it. At current state the NEC ND-3500AG outperforms the LITE-ON SOHW-1633S, PIONEER DVR-108, PLEXTOR PX-716A, and BENQ DW1620 DVDRW drives. The big overall advantage the NEC has over these drives is the large unofficial firmware support and current popularity as being one of the fastest and most flexible drive in the market. A good couple of examples for you, second class media such as 4X RITEKG04 can be written at speeds up to 12X while still maintaining the quality and stability, first class media such as 8X TDK TTG02 is being tested at 16X and succeeding, and many other DVD+/-R media. If you're still not convinced visit cdfreaks.com / NEC Forum http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86 You can try comparing the drives by reading the old reviews but they are not updated with the newest improvements. As a NEC owner I can tell you that I am very satisfied with it and I couldn't of made a better choice.

NEC ND-3500AG v2.18 LD_V1.4 (Liggy & Dee NEC ND-3500 firmware)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  14. dmiller3

dmiller3 Member

15. Nephilim

Care to qualify that? I don't believe that one bit when it comes to the Pioneer and Plextor both of which has proven records for quality build, great media compatibility and burn performance. Exactly how does the 3500 exceed them?

Out and out misinformation. Even if it could burn 4X media at 12X, which it can't, there's no way in hell the burn would be quality.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  16. XhyDra

XhyDra Member

Well as you read in my last post I mentioned DVDRW drive models, being LITE-ON SOHW-1633S, PIONEER DVR-108, PLEXTOR PX-716A, and BENQ DW1620 DVDRW, if you believe that I was comparing the drive to older models well you're wrong and might have misunderstood me. When comparing the drive to these models I assume that you are up to date with recording hardware info & news... right? ;) Well if so then you know how much of a disappointment the latest Plextor PX-716A drive was, so much hype because of the brand but in the end the drive turned out to be a mere laugh in the face for Plextors reputation. The Pioneer DVR-108 while keeping it's continuity in delivering quality DVDRW drives it has no major unofficial support to modify what the drive is really capable of delivering, btw I also want to add the main chipset is from NEC and its part number is NEC D63635GM, which is used in combination with the NEC C333500 used by the DVR-108. In my decision for the best DVDRW Dual Layer drive I first did extensive research to see which drive really was worth the money, I won't deny that my eye was first set on the Pioneer drive yeah I liked it's features, and was quite impressed but as time progressed and more info was taken in I had to go with the NEC ND-3500AG. Yeah some reviews were aiming more over to the Pioneer side but they seemed to be more biased, stating that the NEC was way inferior and that the Pioneer was faster when only noting that 12X was faster than 16X on the drive. NEC's firmware support was small at the time, but recently thanks to many moders the drive has lived up to more than it was rated. The NEC's quality has greatly improved and not to mention overspeeding on media. So hence came my choice for the drive and I won't go back on it. It trully is the end user's decision to what drive they want I can only comment on what I know and what I have learned. If in any way you are not a bit convinced do some research of your own and you decide, a good place to start is cdfreaks.com as it has great forums and lots of info on recording hardware. In respect to all other DVDRW drive manufacturers this is my opinion and I stand by it.
    It isn't misinformation it has been proven and well stabilized, I am sure that you are familiar with write strategies and how they can be altered to change the performance of a drive writing ability to DVD writable media. You questioned the RITEKG04 4X DVD-R media to be written at 12X and even if so possible the quality would be bad, well to add to my last post statement here are some posts from the NEC Forum in cdfreaks.com. These posts are all using beta firmware that has been worked on by Liggy, Dee, and Quikee. The links lead to disc quality scan posts put up by members, and have been scanned with a PI/PIF compatible drive, PI/PIF a disc quality standard measurement that you might be familiar with.

These links are for RITEKG04 media overspeed 4X-12X and follow from early betas to recent:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=703676&postcount=789
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=706569&postcount=841
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=713131&postcount=52
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=722485&postcount=226
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=723557&postcount=242
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=763514&postcount=817

NEC ND-3500AG Beta Firmware Links:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=107360
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=110311
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=115690
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=116567
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=116875
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=116306

NEC ND-3500AG Official firmware update v2.18:
    http://www.de.nec.de/software/1769_FW_ND-3500A_win218.zip

I want to give a special thanks to Liggy, Dee, and Quikee for doing such an outstanding job on modding the NEC ND-3500AG drive's firmware.^_^

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  17. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

dude nec rocks, ive made 10+ ps2 games and 10+ dvd movies not one coaster even using shitty media. Maybe depends on ur computer and progs u use and etc.......

nec all the way, was doubtful at first but it came along nicely......

one

18. Nephilim

I just had a look at the links you gave and I'm very happy for Liggy, Dee, and Quikee but it's not the rosy picture that you seem to want to paint. You can insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm not the one painting glowing reviews for burn speeds that can only be attained with beta firmware. I saw alot of great burn times followed by unrecovered read errors on the subsequent scan. It's a simple fact that the limits cannot be pushed that far with 100% reliability - your links reinforce that.

In your zeal for ever faster burn speeds you failed to mention that the second someone flashes an unofficial firmware they just threw the warranty for their brand new drive out the window. It may not bother you but it'll sure bother some folks.

You can also bag the PX-716 all you want - that's fine. I've been around long enough to see folks have lots of problems when new models first hit the market. It's common for drives go through growing pains until the firmwares get iron out and steady - not all that different than your beloved NEC that needs an unofficial tweaked firmware to "exceed" the other drives on the market. If drives were perfect right out of the gate no firmwares would ever need updating.

Your entire argument is based solely on on the results of several fellows at one website using beta software to do something that neither the drive manufacturers nor the media companies endorse their products for.

I go to cdfreaks every so often and have alot of respect for the fellows there. I don't doubt what they've done but you need to take a step back and realize that you're comparing apples to oranges. "Proven and well stabilized", as you put it, comes from the factory with a manufacturer's warranty not a small sample of beta firmware tests.

19. XhyDra

XhyDra Member

For one thing I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture. I just wanted to show to you some examples of beta firmwares in progress for that certain media, yes there were bumps down the road but when isn't there. You mentioned me insinuating that you didn't know what you were talking about - you took that the wrong way, I said that in regard to seeing how some users don't follow up on things eg. recording hardware updates. If in any way I offended you, my apologies. True to the point about speeds that can only be attainable with beta firmware, but also in the pursuit for disc burn quality one will experience a lot of messups eg. "Unrecovered Read Errors", and that's why users are given the choice to flash their drives or not. As I had said about the Ritek media, it started off bad and now is in a stable state for overspeeding.

When bringing up firmware betas and flashing yes there will always be consequences, it's a part of testing in the process. That is why users are given the choice to officially upgrade or unoficially upgrade, in the forum where these beta firmwares are accessible there is a mention about voiding you DVDRW drive's warranty if uploading these beta firmwares to your drive. Now if you are conservative, then you'll most likely want to stick with NEC official firmware, which at the same time is very good as well.

I brought up the PX-716 because I was going to purchase this drive. I had been waiting for this drive to come out so I can test it out and use it as a writer, but once the reviews came out and users on the Plextor Forum were testing and ended up being disappointed with drive I backed up on my decision. I believe that Plextor should really reconsider working on the drives firmware, and not wait to release the next new drive which is what every other drive manufacturer is aiming towards.

You've seen how NEC has many OEM distributors, I for one believe that if anyone is to purchase the drive they shoud really go for a company that keeps the NEC drive up to date constantly eg. TDK & Mad Dog. I for one am a bit disappointed on NEC's part because they only do the greater of improvements to their OEM distributors and not their own retail. I think this is why modders take action and change things around, it's not endorsed by the drive's manufacturer but it's a start to something greater, one example that I think I can use is Herrie a firmware patcher which is as he recently said working with media companies. As you can see media companies are taking interest on a firmware modder because of his success and approach towards hardware modding.

I can only say what I know, some is opinion and some are facts. My regards go to those who take a step beyond factory limits, because technically speaking they are our drives and we do what we want with them, kinda reminds me of the whole argument on Sony prohibiting users to moddify their PS2 when it's theirs to do as they wish, which by the way also voids your warranty but gives you more open options for greater things. Pushing the envelope to achieve greater limits on hardware is always going to involve risks but it's a part of everday learning, you cannot expect to receive the best from just waiting to see what the drives manufacturer wants to release next. Choice is what life's all about, so choose whatever meets your needs and if you're worried about warranty then you always have the official option.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  20. Nephilim

Try as I might I can't find a single point that I disagree with in your last post :p

I'm all for pushing the limits if one wants to do so but only if they go into it knowing the possible pitfalls. I'm fast becoming a stodgy old fart at an early age and subscribe to the "slow but sure" approach to burning. I do enjoy a spirited debate and thank you for your contributions :)