1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec - ND6500 and RITEKF1 / CMC MAG. AM3 - I finally figured it out ! Or not?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BjoTo, Feb 7, 2007.

1. BjoTo

BjoTo Member

The struggle:
    I bought a pack of TDK 16x DVD-R records (Medianame: CMC MAG. AM3). When trying to use my NEC 6500 and Nero to burn, I got the error "Illegal Disc". Then: trying another media: Traxdata 16x (RITEKF1): Same error.

The infosearch:
    Trying to find why this happen, I thumble ower following info:
    necflash_windows.zip allows me to pull out the firmware from my NEC DVD player and store it on a .bin-file. With the application MediaCodeSpeedEdit I am able to load the firmware and read out a list of supported medias. OK: My firmware 2.40 did neither list RITEKF1 nor CMC MAG. AM3. OK I find the 2.NO version of the firmware here download it and viewing with MediaCodeSpeedEdit. I find that 2.NO do have CMC MAG. AM3 listed, but not RITEKF1.

Action
    I took the risk and flashed the new firmware to my DVD player using the necflash_windows.zip utility. As expected: I am now able to burn CMC MAG. AM3 media, but not the RITEKF1 media. I choose to stop there, but the MediaCodeSpeedEdit suppose to have the capabilities to add new mwdias to the firmware, I choose not to take this risk.

Conclusion
    To my big surprise: Each DVD drive do contain a list of supported brands of media. If a new brand come to the market, all drives need new firmware to support this brand of media. This seems strange, can anybody confirm this? Am I missing something?

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Dont waste ur time with low quality(compatibility) media, only use the best for the Best results in burning like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatims.