1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC RW drive reboots PC when disc inserted!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nandrews, Sep 27, 2007.

1. nandrews

nandrews Member

I have an NEC DVD-RW ND-3500AG drive which has worked well for many months. Recently tho' I find that if I insert any disc (DVD/CD blank or otherwise) then the PC reboots and will keep rebooting until I eject the disk!
    I find I can get the PC to successfully boot if I insert the disc early on in the boot process. Just after it has checked the drives and before it would check for auto boot on a CD (tho' I have changed the boot sequence). If I insert the disc before or after then the reboot will occur, but not immediately but upto 10 - 15 seconds after!
    When I can successfully load a blank DVD then it will burn O.K.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
    Thanks

Nigel

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Go into device manager. Delete the drive and hit scan for new hardware or hit F-5. This will reinstall the drive and may fix it. If not then the drive may be bad.

-Del

3. nandrews

nandrews Member

Del,

Thanks for that I will give it a try.
    The drive works fine once I can get a disc in and the PC staying up.
    That is it burns fine and the discs are quite readable on other PC's.

I seem to have found one way to make it keep up once I insert a disc. If I keep selecting different folders on the HD within Explorer, just after I push the DVD drawer in. It seems to keep the system busy and somehow stops the reboot. But not everytime!

Nigel