1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ned Kelly & Bad Boys won't shrink or Decrypt

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hrdbawl, Mar 29, 2005.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

I recently bought this movie and want to back it up, but I can't get it to do so with Shrink, DVD dycryptor, any dvd AND DVD 43. I tried everything (same issue with Bad Boys also despite no issue with Bad Boys II).

Has anyone had any luck at all?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

i backed both up no probs ages ago.

Theyre old movies so no new encryption should be present, what errors are you getting?? is the smiley turning green?

3. wolves

wolves Regular member

I wonder if this type of problem points to issues on the original disk..In my humble opinion shrink and Decrypt are the bees knees but some bought DVD`s are not.

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

If the disc damage is minor, DVD Decrypter seems to be the better at reading these discs when using the ignore errors option. I guess these discs are just being "Bad Boys"......

5. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Well, I am still outta luck on both movies. I have even gone back to Shrink 3.1.7 as this seemed to help me on Friday Night Lights, but it still didn't get the job done for Bad Boys or Ned Kelly. I tried another copy of each to see if it was the disk, but no dice. Same issue. DVD Decryptor, Shrink, DVD43 and AnyDVD 4.5.7.1 didn't work in any combination. One error was cycle redundancy while the other error (on 2 different computers) mentioned a problem with memory. The fact that I get the same issue, at the same time on each movie regardless of the program that I am using, makes me wonder if some new encryption may be causing this. Old movies or not, they are new in print (never used).

Any thoughts here?

6. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You should use all updated programs.

7. sodsmlive

sodsmlive Member

hey hrdbawl, is the bad boys you're working with the special edition? i just bought it the other day from walmart. the disc it is on does not look very old(looks almost identical to some of the columbia/tristar discs of within the past 2-3 years). deadcat must have burned his from an older non-special edition or re-release version(not accusing, just asking)? i'm getting problems with bad boys as well. the drive(liteon 811s) makes all kinds of crazy noises with the disc in and doesn't recognize that there is even a disc in it. it's not the drive as i just tested about 10 other movies and they were fine, not to mention the 50 or so over the past few months from the video store(all play flawlessly). the drive has latest firmware as well. the noises it makes are scary, like clicking or ticking. it's just strange. bad boys works fine in the living room player though. sorry i can't help, just letting you know you're not the only one with a bad boys problem.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

all i got to add is that i did bad boys 2 with just DVD Shrink ages ago so no funny protections..

9. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Thanks for the thoughts people, but I agree with sodsmlive as the newer burned version's are encrypted with something new that hasn't been figured out yet. Same goes on the Ned Kelly movie. At any rate, these two WILL NOT BURN!

On the other hand, just like creaky said, Bad Boys II DOES burn (I had done that one first) however, in time, I'll bet with new reproduction of Bad Boys II and any other movie, the encryption will keep the new production from being copied until someone figure out how to trump that too. Thanks for responding.

10. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Just because you can't copy a disc does not mean a new protection scheme is applied. Just means you're unable to copy and that can be from a multitude of system problems.

11. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Hey. I've found that if DVD Shrink has problems reading DVD's. Then I turn to DVD Decryptor. I Rip an ISO file then run the ISO file through DVD Shrink. If you get read errors with DVD Decryptor, just go under settings, to the I/O tab and select ignore errors. I find that DVD Shrink doesn't seem to have a problem over looking the missing data. So if I get a damaged DVD. I just have DVD Decryptor ignore the errors and continue to create a ISO file. Always worked out great for me.

12. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Good idea Sdragon. Unfortunately, I did this too. I had DVD Decryptor run for almost 3 hours on Ned Kelly before finally getting past the error, but when I went to shrink it, Shrink picked it up and errored me out. I agree with bilbo65 most of the time, but in this case, I tried all of these remedies on 3 different computers and when my purchased movies wouldn't back up, I was curious if a rented one would work. Same bat issue, same bat time. It errored the same way over and over and over again no matter the copy or the techinique or the computer. Hence why I am GUESSING a new encryption. I haven't had this issue yet, but here I am.

13. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

hrdbawl,
    Your thread intrigued me so I went to Wally-World and bot the Special Edition version. Just got through ripping it w/ no problems using DVDDecrypter. Then tried AnyDVD and Shrink and did the movie that way also. So what you might have is a bad press. Before I went home I asked the Guy behind the counter if he had gotten back alot of these movies and his reply was " we have gotten some back as people are telling us the press is bad" Now granted the Kid was about 19 years old but he did admit they have taken some back and exchanged them.

sodsmlive,
    I looked at the edge of the disk and the copy I have has a slight point that goes up and down all the way around the disk. I wonder if this the noise that you heard. I heard no noise when I did the disk. Look and see if your copy has the little points all the way around the disk.

The copy of Ned Kelly I ordered from Blockbuster about 6-7 months. (One of the Mods on the one of the forums talked about the movie and it sounded interesting so I bot it) Had no problems burning that one either.

14. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

car.mike, you're killing me! I mean to say that I appreciate your testing this issue out and damn it if someone proved me wrong! Well, maybe I should pay you a bit to get those pups to me. I really hate it when that happens. Usually I can figure it out. Maybe I should go to Blockbuster and try theirs? You got Ned Kelly too huhh? Kudo's! P.s. which version of DVD Decryptor did you use, maybe that's it.

15. sodsmlive

sodsmlive Member

Car.Mike, i'm curious of what model of burner you have.

going out and getting that dvd was above and beyond but i'm sure hrdbawl appreciates it. i checked mine and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on disc. it sounds more like lense(or maybe the housing thingy that moves back and forth) tapping against something as the noises sound more mechanical/electronic than something protruding from the disc. i'll pop the disc in and open it up and have a look to be sure.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  16. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

sodsmlive ,
    Lots of time on the hands since I retired from Corporate World. Can only play so much Golf.
    Ripped the Movie in a Lite-on DVD-Rom and used a Pioneer A08 to burn the DVD.

hrdbawl,
    When I did Ned Kelly it was Approx 6 months ago so whatever version that was was the version I used. So that was approx 2 versions ago.

I Still think you have a bad press and you should exchange it if you can.

17. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

To throw some thing in. I find if DVD Decryptor is having problems reading. You might want to have it run at a slower speed. I've noticed from time to time that some disks that I've had errors on. If I have it run at 2X (which I admit takes longer) but it seems to read DVD's with less errors. Maybe the software tring to read at to fast a speed (since Default is MAX) it runs into more errors. It's worked for me from time to time. Might be worth a shot.

18. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Not a bad idea Sdragon. I'll give that a shot. I know there has to be a way to get this to work. This idea might be the clincher!