1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a cpu cooler

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hello all, I am going to soon be upgrading to a Q6600 LGA775 and need a aftermarket cooling system. I would like to overclocked all 4 cores to 3Ghz max, and I would like the cpu to stay at a fairly cool temp while doing so. (under 45C load)

I was looking at the ZALMAN CNPS9500 HSF, which is supposted to be fairly good, but I want to see what else is out there. I was also looking at the Vigor Moonsoon II, which is also a good cooler and it will keep the temps real low.

Finaly, I was thinking about watercooling... I was looking at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227002

I wanted to know what the difference was between them besides the price.

Thanks in advance!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've just installed this cooler (see profile page for picture)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125
    and it ROCKS.
    My CPU's been overclocked such that it puts out 140W of heat versus the norm of 65. I run a fan on it, but at a measly 700rpm (completely inaudible), and my temps at full load are only 44C. It's an absolute beast.
    The extreme version is hardly any more money, and it's even better.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, that one looks good... I was also looking at the Zalmon HSF that I provided a link to, I think I want that one more...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Suit yourself, but the Thermalright's a better performer. Plus, cleaning the Zalman coolers is an absolute pain in the <vulgar term>. I just don't bother, and settle for the increased temps, it's too much hassle.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I have the Zalman CNPS9500 HSF and they do clog up with dust pretty bad and there are better performing heatsinks for less money.I only got the Zalman because it was one of the best heatsink's available that would fit my Dell case.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, the Thermalright is a monster. The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro's not bad for it's size though, or the money.

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok then, thanks. I really want a heatsink with a fan, I'm not really into just naked heatsinks. Actully sam, I'm not sure that the one you suggested will even fit in my case. I migh be going with a swifttech water cooling system, but I am not sure. Any other ideas?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah the beauty of the Thermalright is that not only can you choose your own fan, but you don't even need one at all! I run mine with a Scythe fan on it, nice and quiet. Don't use watercooling unless you do it properly, the basic 'starter kits' are rubbish and don't even perform as well as midrange heatsinks.

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835108076

I'm just not sure if it will go with the antc 900... The holes for watercooling hoses are pre drilled allready in the antec 900, but they're near the bottem of the case, so I would have to have to drill another set of holes near the top, which would work, by why have another set of holes if you're not going to use them?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm guessing money's no object for this upcoming build eh? $250 is a lot of money considering how much better it'll be than air cooling.

11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

well I aint paying for it... But yeah, I know it is a lot of money, but I would like this system to last quite some time, at least 2 years, with room to upgrade.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well best of luck with it all. Water cooling and an 8950GX2 certainly makes you seem well off. When I was your age I had nothing like what I've got now.

13. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

how old are you now? If you dont mind me askin. I am 15, so if I get good grades, then I can get what I want.

But sure I can go a lot more with this upgrade, 2 WD raptor X in Raid 0 and 2 8950s in quad sli, a core 2 extreme processor @ 3GHz, and a 1000watt galaxy PSU.

I dont want to spend over $2000 though, and 1700 for the upgrade I want is still a lot, but its main pc parts, I am recycling some parts to take down the cost a bit.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

but the extreme CPU is pointless because you can overclock further than that (especially with water cooling) as is the power supply because you'll never need 1000W.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

So what do you think the max overlock will be with a Q6600 @2.4Ghz? with water cooling of course...

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I dunno, probably quite high, perhaps 3.4?

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

ok, well that sounds good then... I think I'll overclock to 3.0Ghz...

Do you know what the next gen Ati cards will be like?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not owning a time machine, it's difficult to say. With any luck they'll be more successful than R600, which let's face it, was a bit of a let down. The cards themselves are fine, but they're not groundbreaking and they were so late it's laughable.