1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a new mpg to dvd encoder, dvd santa slipped and fell....

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by amaze122, Nov 14, 2004.

1. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I have tried six times using dvd santa, to encode the mpg of "The Grudge" to dvd, using different options, and turning off various programs (they are all off now, including norton systemworks), and I still get the same effect. The audio is out of sync with the video (the sounds come first, then the mouth movements/action). I notice there is a feature where you can choose to add a delay to either the video or audio, but this would be trial and error, and since you can't preview a partially encoded file, you would have to wait out the conversion to see if you got it right (an hour wait). Though dvd santa works fine on every other file I have tried it on, for this one file I am going to need another mpeg to dvd encoder. I would rather choose from a program that I already have, so here is the list: 1click DvD copy, dvdxcopy exress platinum, dvd cloner II ver.2.32, dvd shrink ver 3.2, Virtual Dub, VirtualDubMod, TMPGEnc Plus. If either of these programs will do the same thing with good quality, could you point me to a guide, I have been to doom9, here, and dvdhelp.us, and can't find a thing...

2. regor

regor Regular member

Hi amaze122 - Out of your impressive list of goodies the only one that I believe will work for you with your avi's and mpeg's is Tmpgenc Plus. You still have a problem though, you will still need to go through the
    encoding to check the output.

Here is my .02, for what it's worth... you have more control with Tmpgenc over DvdSanta - DVDS is a easy one/two step process with usually good results; with Tmpgenc however, you can control your output - color, cropping, etc. I'd suggest trying it out - invest that hour. If you like it, consider Tmpgenc DVD Author to provide even more flexibility in the output i.e. menu and chapter creation.

Hope this helps.

R

3. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I was all set to try out your suggestion, when a member in another forum offered to send me a file that he recommended: WinAvi. I tried it and it workd great. I had been using one program for re-joining downloaded avi's, another program to re-join mpg's, and then dvdSanta to convert them to dvd's, and burn them. Now this one program does all that, and the burning quality is better than dvdSanta! A happy ending has occurred here. };-{0
    Edit: Even though half of my programs are paid for and the others required a trip to (cough) astalavista black box, ahem, I don't mind paying for a great program that does so much, and the people at ZJ Media are happily counting my coins ($29.95), as we speak. Only in America!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  4. regor

regor Regular member

I will check out WinAVI.

Glad for your happy ending, amaze122!

Astalavista. R

<grin>

5. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I just realized I forgot something important: WinAvi actually uses my Nero program as an interface to burn the dvd to disc. I have mine so programmed to my specs that I almost didn't realize that I was using it (Nero) along with WinAvi, plus it sort of slips it in on you right at the last minute, so seamlessly....

6. regor

regor Regular member

No worries... thanks for the clarification.

R

7. adc03

adc03 Member

Amaze122....

Here's another one for you fine collection...

Give it a try....works pretty darn well and FREE for now too:

http://vso.nerim.net/vsoDivxToDVD_setup.exe

DivxToDVD by VSO-Software
    (BlindWrite Copy to DVD people) Version 0.1.3.13

Unbelievably clear..stopped using DVDSanta after trying this. Also like WinAVI.

About WinAVI...what output setting are you using....medium or one of the higher choices...??

8. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I just made the download; thanks. I will try it out soon. In WinAVI, I always use the "fixed output quality" setting of "highest", and uncheck the "split output files" box. Also, I input the file into VirtualDubMod first, (by choosing open file), then I click the file information option under "File" and get the fps of the file, then input that information into "source frame rate", under the "Encoder" option in WinAVI...

9. adc03

adc03 Member

Interesting on the frame rate...

I have just been selecting the 29.xx selection.

Also, something I notice with DVDSanta is the audio gets out of sync. With WinAVI...it seems to stay sync'd correctly.

Also had some sync problems with the free one I suggested to you, so you might watch out for that.

Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  10. pchan424

pchan424 Member

amaze you said : I just made the download; thanks. I will try it out soon. In WinAVI, I always use the "fixed output quality" setting of "highest", and uncheck the "split output files" box.
    I just got winAVI and im trying to get it to work well since dvdSanta keeps crashing on me when i try to encode this Xvid file. Well when i pick highest quality and unchecked the split output files Nero wouldnt let me burn it into the ts video folder when you try to burn dvd video becuase it was bigger then 2 megs. Any advice on how i can get this to work correctly? when i encoded it with the default settings the video was kind of jumpy when i played it on my dvd player. Thanks

11. xxpc210

xxpc210 Guest

I've tried WinAVI and I havent had success I had it convert the avi's to vob's and I burned them with Nero and then I played it and got no audio and also it was like bad tracking only unviewable and i thought it was only me but on www.download.com the reviews say the exact same thing. I tried DVD Santa it worked great but unfortunately im running on a 128mb ram crap and it can barely handle it i need a dif. converter...HELP-xxpc210@yahoo.com

AIM-XXPC210

12. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Ok after my previous post knowing a little more after ive played around with it. I have a few more straight to the point questions. The first is about what you said Amaze122. Also, I input the file into VirtualDubMod first, (by choosing open file), then I click the file information option under "File" and get the fps of the file, then input that information into "source frame rate", under the "Encoder" option in WinAVI... im trying to find where i can find that source frame rate about my file so maybe i can input it as well to help my other problem. My first problem is ive tried a few times with highest quality and other settings to encode a xvid file and it worked but when i burn it to a cd and put it in my standalone dvd player the video kind of skips a little or jumps a small amount. i dont really know how to explain it its a little like bad tracking on a vhs tape. its not horrable but really annoying. i tried to burn it with nero and dvd santa and they both look the same on my standalone dvd player. but they dont look like that on the pc... its strange. maybe if input the source frame rate that will help. im not sure. any advice from someone thats been using it a while. thanks