1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a new reciever

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by jus2slo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

Im looking to buy a new reciever in the $500 to $800 price range, any suggestions. digital, non digital etc.

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

It depends on your needs. Do you have speakers yet? If you do, what kind and how many? Do you have extra A/V components?(DVD player,satalite/digital box,xbox,ps2,gamecube,cd player,etc.)

3. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

ihave an xbox, hd dvd player, hd cable box. And the have polk audio pro series suround sound speakers, with four 10 inch cerwin vega subs run off a crown dj amplifier. I also have my computer running to my tv and reciever. Also components are running in hd and fiber optic.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

onkyo makes very nice receivers, and you should be able to find a high end one for uner $800

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I would recommed going to a Tweeter or a similar place and take a listen. After a hell of a lot of listening, I decided that I prefered Denon. I bought a Denon AVR 3805 which is just astonishing...even at the great deal I got for it, it was still a couple of hundred more than your cap but I think the Denon AVR 2805 would be right about at your cap if you shopped around. If memory serves, the differences between the two aren't in sound quality so much as the 2805 has a couple of less features and not quite as much power per channel but probably still more power than you'd ever use.

You're actually shopping at the very best time of year. New models come out every March so you can get the 2004 models for a steal if you shop around! I go to this tweeter in downtown Philly but only at this time of year because they're always way overpriced but given it's location, the wealthier type of customers they get there don't come in for last year's models so I've bought stuff for up to 50% off. Same is true with a lot of web sites who are also selling off last year's stock at a song (and without sales tax). Be careful on line though and make sure the site is factory authorized (many aren't) so they won't honor the warranty if something is wrong. Happy listening with whatever you get! ... Gerry

6. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

thanks for the help people, appreciate it!

7. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Hey Gerry,

i just wanted to point out that the 3805 is a little better in sound quality. Here are a few of the upgrades that will effect sound quality over the 2805:

120 watts/channel
    AL24+ processing
    HDCD Decoder
    (2) 24bit/192kHz Burr Brown DACs on all 8 channels (16 total)
    True 24bit/192kHz Digital Input capacity
    24bit/192kHz Analog to Digital Conversion.

Don't get me wrong out there... the 2805 is a FANTASTIC piece of equipment. Just showing what some of the few extra hundred dollars buys you.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks Razz! I never really checked out the 2805; I must have heard it when I was initially out shopping but listened to so many that I don't recall. By the way, I don't know that I ever said THANK YOU for your recommendation of the 3805. I went to listen after your recommendation and it was every bit as good as you said. Thanks again! ... Gerry

9. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

your more than welcome Gerry!!!!

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

10. a-vman

a-vman Member

Hello, I'm new here and just breezing through the posts. I own a custom electronic store down south. Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
    You absolutely can not go wrong with any product by Denon. I've had the line for 5 years and only had to warranty 1 unit (AVR2803). Probably moved 400 to 500 peices in 5 years. They are always on the cutting edge and are very user friendly. The 2805 retails at $899 and could stand up to most other brands $1200 units.

11. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Nice input a [bold]v-man[/bold]!