1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a safe good registry cleaner (That's free)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by shaken, Nov 28, 2007.

1. shaken

shaken Member

I have looked around for a nice registry cleaner that is free but am not sure about any. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which one I should use. I know there is always some risk involved but would like to find the best and most reliable cleaner for a partially lazy person as myself.

2. onya

onya Guest

CCleaner has been a favourite of mine for sometime now, not just coz it's free... but it's reliable and even asks whether or not you'd like to make a backup of any changes to the registry you may make. I've heard it's less aggressive than other similar apps, and believe it or not CCleaner was reviewed in MS's XP mag and it got two thumbs up. See how you go.

3. shaken

shaken Member

OK I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

4. shaken

shaken Member

Now.... How can I tell if a registry problem really is a problem? Do I have to copy the path into "Run"? Or do I just choose the option to open it up in RegEdit and if something shows up that means its working?

5. onya

onya Guest

Howd you mean a problem? As in regards to CCleaner or your own perceptions? Sorry i'm not sure. What are you experiencing, that would prompt you to ask this?

Is this a question of when you download the program and subsequent install problems occur? I'm rather confused. CCleaner has a very simple GUI, you asked for a free and easy to use proggy. If it's this app that's caused the problems......please be more ellaborate.

6. shaken

shaken Member

I mean my own perceptions. I have heard that people have fixed supposed registry problems that actually caused problems. How do I know when I fix something with CC cleaner or another program, I am not messing up my computer?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  7. onya

onya Guest

Now I understand....sorry. Knowing what is to be deleted can be un-nerving and it's essentially up to you to identify the files selected. If you keep a close eye on what's installed and what's been un-installed, you'll pick up real quick. As with any reg file cleaner there could always be the time that you run it and something goes awry with a particular program. CCleaner gives you the choice to backup the reg files you may have inadvertantly deleted, so your fairly safe. Although it's a freebie, youd be hard pressed to find negative reviews about it's performance. CCleaner has never given me probs at all. With regular defraging of your HDD and the use of CCleaner, you'll reap the rewards of a maintained system......it's that simple.

All the best Shaken

Cheers.

8. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Member

I use few registry cleaners myself, some of the best I would recommend:

Free Registry Cleaners
    1. EUsing
    2. CCleaner
    3. RegSeeker

But the Best Registry Cleaner is still paid Edition! For more informatioin, please visit Registry Cleaner Review

Please remember to backup your Windows Registry before doing anything stupid, such as cleaning every single detected errors by FREEWARE cleaner (Commercial will autobackup!).

Create a restore before cleaning the registry, whenever possible...

9. shaken

shaken Member

Cool! Thanks! It seems that backing up your computer is rule number 1.

10. clarke2

clarke2 Member

If you want to fix computer problems or repair windows registry, I would strongly recommend to give RegBooster a try.

The plus point of the software is:
    - easy to use.
    - quick scanning to find errors & repairing them.
    - ignore list(does not find/count that entry as an error on next search)
    - registry defragmentation
    - registry backup
    - manage startup
    - excellent look & feel.

More details can be found on:
    www.regbooster.com

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  11. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Member

12. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

1. CCleaner
    2. TweakNow RegCleaner
    3. Easy Cleaner

I use these 3 myself in conjunction with Registry Mechanic, they all work great, usually any registry errors or problems one software misses, another will pick up, so you have a triple redundant registry cleaning system.

CCleaner and Easy Cleaner also free up disk space by cleaning out junk files that your system doesn't need (Temporary files, Temp directories, Internet files, Backups).

13. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Member

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

15. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

I use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) and I like it. You'll get rid of junk you dont need.

Now I have not used any other reg cleaner either so can not give input on them.

Now here's a question.
    Is it a good idea to have more than one, that way for instance if CCleaner missed something the other program might get it?

16. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It's always good to have a backup i yse CCleaner and Easy Cleaner it both helps maintain your computer give it a whirl you can find them both on my profile page. Both programs are freeware.

17. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

Thanks for the confirmation and location to get it from.

18. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

WATCH OUT NO ONE EVER TELLS U WATCH OUT WELL HERE IT IS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS DON'T DELETE BECAUSE i DID AND FRAKED MY SHIP UP BECAUSE SENT MY MACHINE BACK TOO WHEN i FIRST GOT THE DARN THING BUT STILL HAD ALL PROGRAMS HAVE 2 PROGRAMS THAT ARE THE SAME DIFFERENT VERSION WHAT DID IT DO TOO THE LATEST AND DLETEED THE OLD ONE.

MADE IT SO YAHOO MESSENGER WAS FRAKED UP WHERE i COULD'NT USE IT.

DON'T TRUST IT ONE PROGRAM SAID i HAD 364 ERRORS AND THIS ONE MANAGED TOO FIND OVER 2000 SOMETHING IS FISHY.

THE NAME IS REGISTRY EASY STAY AWAY FROM THIS MEDIA PORTAL AND EXPECIALLY ((PC SPEEDUP)))

Last edited: May 20, 2008