1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a solution...PS2 Modding.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by krist_k, Feb 12, 2008.

1. krist_k

krist_k Member

Hi guys, new here, have been using this site alot over the years but have never had the need to sign up as ussually all my questions are answered :)

Anyway the situation is that i have a PAL PS2 v7(39002)and i want to make it (mod or whatever) play all my backed up games.
    I recently got a ps3 and realised i wasnt getting enough out of my ps2 so i decided to spice it up a bit and go back to playing my classics.
    Keep in mind that my ps2 is 100% stock and i have never done anything or experimented with it. I am like really really new at all this so i want to get it right the first time.

Now I have about 130 PS2 PAL games in my collection which I have been recently backing up to an external HD and want to know what i need in order to play them.

Now I live in Australia and here ps2 modding is kinda like, not really known. Well not in my state anyway, there used to be a couple of shops but now everything is shut down.

Now I have been doing a bit of research on swap magic and that but i dont really think that's what i need. What I want (if its possible) is to play those games straight of my harddrive without having to burn each one to a disk.

Thats all i need, i have old backups on a massive external HD and want to plug it in the ps2's usb and play the games off it.

How do i do that? Will i need a modchip?
    I have been hearing stuff about memor32, is that good/reliable?
    Do i have to open up my ps2 (warranty is long gone but i'm afraid of screwing things up)?
    Can i play American or Jap games? (I'll buy, backup and then play ofcourse :p)
    How much money all up for whatever option i need?
    Do i need to have a dedicated HD for the games or can i just plug and play? The one i have i share with my pc for somethings, thats all.
    Will i get any slowdowns?

Sorry for long post, thanks to those who reply.

2. krist_k

krist_k Member

P.S. Whatever we are using, I need to be a permanent solution.
    I dont play online ever with the ps2.
    Also i have a couple of large games backed up (god of war, MGS:Subsistence) will they be a problem?
    If modchip is the best option, i have never used a soldering iron in my life so where can i get it done?

The most important feature for me is to play the games of a HD and not a disk.

3. HG27

HG27 Guest

If you want to play your backups off a usb hard drive go with USB Extreme. You can load it up and it will boot just like a ps2 game. Meaning you do not have to open your ps2. Then you should be able to play games off your hard drive. It runs for like $20 I believe.

I don't recommend this option though as USB Extreme is not compatible with all games, and your games will load slower than if you were using the laser.

My recommendation is to get an IDE hard drive and a network adapter since you have a v7 ps2. Then get something called HD Loader, this will allow you to play games off the IDE hard drive. HD Loader runs for about $20 as well. This is the fastest way to load your games.

You can get all the software I mention for free but it will require you to have some way of running unsigned code on your ps2. So it might be easier to just buy it...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  4. krist_k

krist_k Member

Ok, i dont want to plug in an IDE since i have to buy an adaptor and they cost heaps now. Plus i dont know how to connect it anyway.

Whats my next best option if i want to use burnt disks? (excluding the swipe card BS and flip tops)

5. HG27

HG27 Guest

Ultimate solution would be a chip. As you will need some method of swaping discs if you go with a boot disc (Swapmagic).
    One other option is to get swapmagic but always have the top half of the ps2 off. Though this not good in that it makes it easier for dust to collect inside the ps2.

6. chookman

chookman Member

i have a memor32 it plays my backed up games with no problem i also have a 80gb external hard drive can i copy games from my pc and play them on my ps2 fat is there a thread that will explain how? i have searched butnot found anything i can understand

7. HG27

HG27 Guest

From my understanding Memor32 also boots .ELF files. So all you would need to do is load up the .ELF file of USB Extreme to play games off your external HD (pre-loaded with games using your PC).

8. chookman

chookman Member

don't mean to sound like a idiot but what and how do install elf files is there a thread to read

9. HG27

HG27 Guest

Here you go man, I found these two links.

-Link 1-Talks about booting the .ELF file for SNES Station, though it can be replaced with another .ELF file. Listen to Freyta.

-Link 2-Super in-depth review of the Memento FW. Part you want to read is the part about 'Usage - DEV.olution Modes'

10. chookman

chookman Member

Thanks for the info HG27 read link 2 going to try that tonight when i get home from work looks promising cheers will let u know how it went

11. HG27

HG27 Guest

Awesome

12. krehator

krehator Member

What is heaps to you? I bought one off Amazon for $27 just last week.

Seriously, installation is a breeze. It takes 30 seconds and you really cannot mess up anything.

I have an internal in mine. I also have an external USB. I use Swap Magic with a small and cheap 128MB usb stick for loading either HD with ULAUNCH.ELF. I just select HDloader or USBadvance on boot up. USB is a pain in the butt for compatibility. I only put games known to work with USB on the external.

13. ps2v7

ps2v7 Member

i have a v7 ps2 and i want to know do i need a modchip on order to play games off a HD or do i just need a network adapter, Harddrive, and an orginal disk of HD loader

14. krehator

krehator Member

You do not require a modchip for that v7. You can use a swap disc (swap magic). You also have the option of internal hard drive, USB, or both.

I would recommend internal HD with HDLoader (or HDAdvance) for better compatibility.

There are many tutorials for all of these options.

15. Assi9

Assi9 Member

I'm going to post the files on Demonoid, but the best thing to do on the cheap is open the ps2 (sorry I have a modded console but from there you might need better instructions). You boot up a game like crazy taxi (again I'm not an expert and might leave out some things but this is good info to get started). From there, you are able to put in a burned CD that can install an exploit to your memory card. Then next time you boot up crazy taxi, it launches the file then allows you to swap in a burned DVD of a game.
    I think it's called the independence exploit and there are swap magic elfs that you can put on the memory card too and all kinds of stuff.
    No chips or commercial Swap Magic, etc. Needed. Just blank DVDs/CDs and getting that console open so you don't have to use eject.

16. Assi9

Assi9 Member

AND on HDD...I sold my XBox to get a modded PS2, and sold some other stuff on eBay, got a Maxtor drive (will load up most games other drives not so much) and the network adaptor. I was kind of reluctant, had been using a USB HDD (SLOWER than burning games WAY SLOWER loads).

And I tell you it will be the best thing you ever did, load up 50 games at once on 120Gig drive (you can use smaller drives though about the same price if you compare though).

Loads are FAST and now with the new Codebreaker that boots HDLoader, it's a must have to get the drive.

I'd get started by getting your PS2 to boot some backups and download all the hacks archives you can so you can use those files when you need them.